Bar Build (Again...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAWhiteFSU

Reaction score
I can't edit some of the older posts on the original thread (probably due to forum rules) so I am starting over. The old thread can be found here.

I convinced SWMBO to let me convert our loft/office into a loft/bar. The loft is about 17 ft. wide and 10 ft. deep. Most of the actual building took place at my Dad's house as he has every saw/sander/other useful tool known to civilized man and is a much better craftsman than I am.

Bar Plans:

Here are the plans I started with before the build. I ended up using 2" x 3" for all of the framing rather than as is drawn. The bar top, because of material availability, is 20" wide plus trim and not 24".

bar_plans.png

Bar Materials:

Bar top: 1" x 20" edge glued stain ready panels mounted on 3/4" plywood. After lots of sanding (who knew there we so many kinds of sanders?) I am very happy with how this turned out and how good the stain looks.

IMG_3598.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

I finished the first coat of polyurethane today. I am planning on about six more.

Sides: Galvanized sheet metal roofing (the "wavy" kind). I "fatigued" (a long story, it didn't turn out as I thought it would) the surface of the metal with muriatic acid from Lowes. CAUTION: this stuff is dangerous, particularly when used undiluted as I did.

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

Keezer Plans:

I followed the air circulation system from this build quite closely with a few modifications. Thanks dahappycamper. I'm a proponent of "keep it simple stupid" so I elected to make the collar out of a painted 2" x 6".

Because I did not want to hinge the bar top, the top of the Keezer is NOT hinged and I will remove the whole top when I want to go inside it.

[ Picture to follow ]

Keezer Parts list:

GE 7.0 cu. ft. Chest Freezer ($199)
Subtotal: $199

Johnson Thermostat Controller ($59)
4 Keg Faucet Kit with Perlick 525's ($443)
5% Discount at kegcowboy.com (-$25)
Shipping ($14)
Subtotal: $490

8 corny kegs at $30 shipped.
Subtotal: $240

Keezer Parts Total: $929

Cheapest I can get them local is $50. Used to be $25, but when he ran out of his massive supply and had to get another one, price jumped to $50.

Yes please tell. The HB Den sells them for 45..

that place has cheated me out of A LOTTTT of money.

before i purchased my barley crusher, i had them crush my grains. after about 10 batches with 60% efficiency, i asked them to double crush my grains. sure enough, they refused and circled into this long story about how crushing doesnt improve efficiency blah blah blah.

needless to say, my first crush with my BC sky rocketed my efficiency into the mid 70s.

with that being said, i brewed two of my best beers with the advice I received from John the owner and brewmaster at MoMos. the man makes some great beer but is a little too greedy with sharing his recipes.

That is going to be my next purchase. I am going to get a barley crusher. I have not had any issues with my eff. though. However the crush could def. be better..

I just added some pictures.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the people at the Homebrew Den.

The kegs came from McEver Distributors in New Smyrna. I negotiated to buy 16 (8 for some other people) kegs at $26 a piece. After shipping each keg came to $30 a piece.

Looking good so far. I like the look of the siding.. It looks like in the third pic that its almost black in color.. Is that what the acid did? or is it just the pic angle/shadows?

I love the look of that dark rich wood with the sheet metal roofing material. So cool.

Looking good so far. I like the look of the siding.. It looks like in the third pic that its almost black in color.. Is that what the acid did? or is it just the pic angle/shadows?

It is not as black as it looks in the third picture. It is a dull silver with streaks of black.

Making slow progress. Going to test the keezer for leaks with some water tonight. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

No liquid leaks. Pours nice beers. I think I have a very slow CO2 leak, unless it takes half a 5# tank to carb two kegs.

You can see the spot I designed for my big computer in the corner. I mounted a power strip for SWMBO's electronics. This is after all a replacement for our desks. Also note the spots I built into the bar that fit a 6 gallon better bottle like a glove.
back1.JPG

Note the computer 23" computer monitor with it's back to the wall on top of the bar. Works out pretty well with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
back2.JPG

back3.JPG

Back