Banks suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilbrew247

Reaction score
Why is it that I can't get a loan or line of credit for a measly $2 or $3 k when i have a mortgage, good credit, good income, paid off truck, car loan, etc. I had a charge off for a department store 6 yrs ago and is that really stopping me!? I want a privacy fence to keep my drunk neighbor from peeing in my yard! WTF is wrong with this world!?!?!?!?

buffalobrewer said:
join a credit union. Just financed a 30 y/o sailboat through them. Local banks wouldn't touch it.

That's what my dad said too.

Why is it that I can't get a loan or line of credit for a measly $2 or $3 k when i have a mortgage, good credit, good income, paid off truck, car loan, etc. I had a charge off for a department store 6 yrs ago and is that really stopping me!? I want a privacy fence to keep my drunk neighbor from peeing in my yard! WTF is wrong with this world!?!?!?!?

You're going about this all wrong.

The problem here is drunk neighbor peeing on your yard. We need to address that.

Electrify your existing fence. Even if Myth Busters is right, drunks tend to hold on to what's in front of them when they pee and you'll still get him. Don't worry if you shock the crap out of him. Anatomy being what it is, the crap will land in his yard.

You're going about this all wrong.

The problem here is drunk neighbor peeing on your yard. We need to address that.

Electrify your existing fence. Even if Myth Busters is right, drunks tend to hold on to what's in front of them when they pee and you'll still get him. Don't worry if you shock the crap out of him. Anatomy being what it is, the crap will land in his yard.

Yep, Zuljin is on the right track here. Time to crank up the voltage on your existing fence!

Hey twil,

It sucks... and I am an 'evil' banker. The deal is, new 'consumer protection acts' have been enacted. Note, 'consumer protection acts' are *meant* to protect consumers; however, their cost of enforcement, and bottom-line revenue cuts due to this enforcement, has caused major shifts in the underwriting process.

Unless tight criteria is met - including a high credit score (in many cases over a 740 / 760), low debt-to-income ratio, longevity in career, and longevity in residence, one is not likely to be approved at any FDIC-insured institution. This means that we are all now reviewed under the same microscope to ensure no one is given 'unfavorable' advantage. Look at this way - let's say you and I are both starting the same type of business, but you have a better product than I, and our business and marketing plans show this. I have a credit score of 760, while you have a score of 720. Guess who's going to get the loan? The underwriting department looks at these scores and says 'hm, dawnhulio has a better track record than twil, and that's all that matters.' They no longer look at, say, the business plan and market research we both provided, showing that you have the better product (thus better return and less risk of the loan becoming insolvent). It's now considered 'unfair' to base the extension of loan funds off of 'projected' information. They are only looking at hard data that can be provided in case of a consumer complaint about 'unfair and deceptive acts and practices'. Seriously, it's called UDAP, and it can be looked up to one's content. :drunk: UDAP is something that is enforced under credit union regs too, but not to the extent it's being enforced under FDIC-governed institutions.

Thus, my sub-par product gets a chance... while your awesome product does not. Seem fair? I thought not. Thanks, consumer protection... :mad:
I have conversations like this several times a week. It sucks, and it's not customer-centric.

So... first, a conversation with your pee-focused neighbor might not be out of line. It's funny a time or two, but after that... it calls for a good kick to the crotch. :D Second, I'd recommend the same as others above, check out a credit union. Wish you the best. :mug:

neighbor peeing in the yard. damn. maybe you could buy a pony and train it to bite his weiner off? :confused:

It's because of the liberals who thought that everyone should own a home whether or not they could really afford it. Then come the greedy bankers who pushed adjustable rate mortgages. Start out OK, then the next tier kicks in and it gets tough, then the economy tanks and on come the foreclosures.

Now the greedy bankers are shell shocked will not lend to people with good credit. They will only lend to people who don't really need to borrow any money.

Go on welfare get food stamps and 3 or 4 free cellphones!

It's because of the liberals who thought that everyone should own a home whether or not they could really afford it. Then come the greedy bankers who pushed adjustable rate mortgages. Start out OK, then the next tier kicks in and it gets tough, then the economy tanks and on come the foreclosures.

Now the greedy bankers are shell shocked will not lend to people with good credit. They will only lend to people who don't really need to borrow any money.

Go on welfare get food stamps and 3 or 4 free cellphones!

you forgot to include the people who bought houses they could not afford. Everyone seems to forget about them. Can't have a mortgage crisis without them.

The greater question is, why can't you afford a fence without jeopardzing the rest of our credit?
And if you have "good credit" you wouldn't need a 2k loan.

_

I may be missing the point here, but what harm is a little bit of pee causing you? I'm guessing that very quickly after hitting the ground it starts to soak in, and within minutes is practically dry to the touch. Maybe you should look into a giant canopy to keep the birds from crapping on your yard. Maybe a hundred pounds of insecticide to kill all of the bugs crapping on your lawn??

Or buy a trail camera and capture video of him peeing and post if online. "Look at what my neighbor does when he's drunk!"

But seriously, it's just a bit of urine. There is a fairly high likelyhood that it's sterile and if he is drunk, then the percentage of anything other than H2O is going to be very low.

uh, maybe cause he's sick of looking at neighbor d*ck??

maybe cause he has kids?

you seriously see nothing wrong with a neighbor constantly pissing in your yard while intoxicated?

uh, maybe cause he's sick of looking at neighbor d*ck??

maybe cause he has kids?

you seriously see nothing wrong with a neighbor constantly pissing in your yard while intoxicated?

Well when you put it like that... No.

At least I wouldn't spend 2-3K on a fence because the neighbor pees in the yard once in a while.

motobrewer said:
:rolleyes:

"having $2k" and "having $2k to spend on a fence" are entirely different things.

Exactly! Plus I would much rather invest in equipment upgrades for brewing!

You might be interested in checking out either Lending Club or Prosper.

Then I would say priorities are misaligned, or somebody pi*sing in your yard isn't as big of a deal for you as you make it out to be.

or he's just willing to spend the ~250 or so it'd be to get a loan so that he has the $2k in his bank for something else (rainy day, brew gear, whatever the f he wants).

i don't get why people have serious problems with this.

How big is this fence? 2-3 k seems steep to me. I just built a 50 ft 6ft high for 400

reread this and i feel like an ass haha
just an honest inquiry.

or he's just willing to spend the ~250 or so it'd be to get a loan so that he has the $2k in his bank for something else (rainy day, brew gear, whatever the f he wants).

2-3k is a small amount of money for a homeowner to need to come up with. You should have 1-3% of your homes value just for routine items that come up. You should also have several months worth of expenses stashed away.

Saying you have 2-3k to spend on a hobby but not to do repairs upgrades on your house is silly.

With the OP considering a loan in the first place tells me he has a bit of a cash-flow problem. Otherwise, its really not worth going through the rigamarole of trying to get said loan (application, gathering documents, sitting with loan person). You would just write the check.

If OP has a cash-flow problem, then spending $2k on brewing may not be the smartest thing in the world.:drunk:

That's why he is getting the response he is.

2-3k is a small amount of money for a homeowner to need to come up with. You should have 1-3% of your homes value just for routine items that come up. You should also have several months worth of expenses stashed away.

Saying you have 2-3k to spend on a hobby but not to do repairs upgrades on your house is silly.

it's not an upgrade. it's not like his pipes burst and he can't take a shower. it's a fence. $2-3k home improvements are EXACTLY WHAT HELOCS ARE DESIGNED TO FUND!

With the OP considering a loan in the first place tells me he has a bit of a cash-flow problem. Otherwise, its really not worth going through the rigamarole of trying to get said loan (application, gathering documents, sitting with loan person). You would just write the check.

If OP has a cash-flow problem, then spending $2k on brewing may not be the smartest thing in the world.:drunk:

That's why he is getting the response he is.

how does that point to a "cash flow" problem???!?!

it points to an EXCESS in cash flow!!

are you suggesting NO RESPONSIBLE person would ever consider opening a HELOC?!? why have them then??

it's not an upgrade. it's not like his pipes burst and he can't take a shower. it's a fence. $2-3k home improvements are EXACTLY WHAT HELOCS ARE DESIGNED TO FUND!

how does that point to a "cash flow" problem???!?!

it points to an EXCESS in cash flow!!

are you suggesting NO RESPONSIBLE person would ever consider opening a HELOC?!? why have them then??

I own my house outright and am planning on updating the kitchen,,,,, By saving money every month until I have the money I need to do the kitchen. A HELOC for 2k is ridiculous.

I just took a giant post lunch dump. Super stinky and fairly greasy due to the hamburger I had.

This thread has apparently resulted in several opinions. Allow me to clarify/explain myself. Have had several issues with neighbor in the past. Driven through my front yard, drunken screaming at family, drunken screaming at me, etc. Part of the exacerbation of the issue is that our houses are about 20 ft apart. This results in amplified noises, boat motors, etc. Also, urine will and has killed my once-lush grass in that spot. So apparently it's been taking place for a long time. Probably no malicious intent, but still...

So regarding the loan/LOC: I was shooting for $5k because i wanted to lump our credit cards into one low interest rate. The fence and pay off on the cards would result in lower monthly payment anyway. Maybe that doesn't make sense to some, but it made sense to me. So yes, I could swing a privacy fence on my own after some self-denial on the beer, but don't want to.

I since had a talk with my neighbor (one of many previous), but don't know how much good it'll do in the long run. Probably will have to revisit this again. Thanks for all the replies/advice. I'm a low key guy so I probably won't shoot off his weiner (plus I don't have a scope with that kind of magnification). Until next time, brew on!

Punity said:
How big is this fence? 2-3 k seems steep to me. I just built a 50 ft 6ft high for 400

reread this and i feel like an ass haha
just an honest inquiry.

It's been awhile since I measured it, but if memory is correct I think about 200-250 feet total.

motobrewer said:
it's not an upgrade. It's not like his pipes burst and he can't take a shower. It's a fence. $2-3k home improvements are exactly what helocs are designed to fund!

How does that point to a "cash flow" problem???!?!

It points to an excess in cash flow!!

Are you suggesting no responsible person would ever consider opening a heloc?!? Why have them then??

+1

twilbrew247 said:
It's been awhile since I measured it, but if memory is correct I think about 200-250 feet total.

Damn big fence haha. Honestly to me combining the cards is something ive done and its alot less stress and i was able to roll in my motorcycle payment and payed it all off faster and cheaper. Good luck on your endeavor, and a CU is going to be a better bet trying to get a personal loan like that.

Not everyone has the luxury of having several thousand $$$ sitting around, I was working on building that number for myself up 3 years ago when I was laid off from my job for more than 6-months, then suffered another lay-off a year later. I had just bought my house 7 mo before that so my sitting cash was already low as I put it all on a down payment. Now trying to build the money back up after having to survive on credit cards to keep electricity on is next to impossible. But I'll do it, and I'll be proud when I succeed eventually. But just because I want to build that cushion doesn't mean I can't spend anything on hobbies or vacations for my family. If $2,000 is what is sitting between me having a "cushion" and protecting my family from an irate drunken neighbor exposing himself, I'll do whatever it takes to get that fence and protect my family. Taking a loan is the first reasonable step I would take vs the people here suggesting shooting him with an air soft gun or later stealing radiators for the money.

I own my house outright and am planning on updating the kitchen,,,,, By saving money every month until I have the money I need to do the kitchen. A HELOC for 2k is ridiculous.

Your previous statements make sense now, as it would be easy to say you need X dollar amount if you don't have to make a house payment every month.

No! the key is to live BELOW your means not at your means. Having my house paid off has only changed what I save for retirement not my other savings.

Not everyone has the luxury of having several thousand $$$ sitting around, I was working on building that number for myself up 3 years ago when I was laid off from my job for more than 6-months, then suffered another lay-off a year later. I had just bought my house 7 mo before that so my sitting cash was already low as I put it all on a down payment. Now trying to build the money back up after having to survive on credit cards to keep electricity on is next to impossible. But I'll do it, and I'll be proud when I succeed eventually. But just because I want to build that cushion doesn't mean I can't spend anything on hobbies or vacations for my family. If $2,000 is what is sitting between me having a "cushion" and protecting my family from an irate drunken neighbor exposing himself, I'll do whatever it takes to get that fence and protect my family. Taking a loan is the first reasonable step I would take vs the people here suggesting shooting him with an air soft gun or later stealing radiators for the money.

Your previous statements make sense now, as it would be easy to say you need X dollar amount if you don't have to make a house payment every month.

Next time he takes a leak on your lawn, hit him with the garden hose. He wants to act like a stray dog, treat him like a stray dog. Tell him next time, you're calling the cops. You shouldn't have to spend $2,000 to put up a fence just so you don't have to look at your neighbor take a piss.

Besides, you put up a fence, he's just going to piss on your brand new fence! Just make it rot out all the quicker!

I've got a neighbor like that. Crap piled all over his yard, mows his lawn about 4 times a year, and still owes me a few hundred bucks I loaned him to get his water turned back on several years ago. He's always drunk and wants to borrow my tools. How can anyone own a house for 10 years and not have a set of screwdrivers? He's a pain.

I also have a fence, which was worth every penny it cost me. Good fences make good, er, tolerable neighbors.

Back