Banjo burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a banjo burner.. Is there really a noticeable difference in boil time?

When I went from a stand alone burner to a two burner stand I actually downgraded from the banjo burner because I felt it was overkill. No difference noted in my 10 gallon HLT and my 13-16 gallon boils in my BK.

When I went from a stand alone burner to a two burner stand I actually downgraded from the banjo burner because I felt it was overkill. No difference noted in my 10 gallon HLT and my 13-16 gallon boils in my BK.

Why did you find it to be overkill? I just started all-grain brewing a few batches ago and I was going to buy a grain mill but my brew days are crazy long due to waiting an hour for my water to boil, so I was looking at a banjo burner instead...I just don't know how much time it would save

Using the banjo burner I never, ever used its capacity. I saw no point in sending excess heat up the sides to waste, so I adjusted the flame to efficiently heat the bottom of the kettle. The smaller burner is able to achieve a comparable flame, so what's the difference? I suppose if I'd been content to waste 30-40% or more of my propane I could have brought the water to boil faster with the banjo, but that's not me.

My brew days are set up the night before with water in the HLT. I wake up, turn on the HLT and then I have a cup of coffee, maybe a bite of something, brush my teeth, get dressed, crush my grain if I hadn't the night before and mash in. No lost time, there.

As to the boil, my BK burner's on during my sparge so the wort is being heated nearly to a boil by the end of my sparge. No lost time, there.

I'm not "waiting for the water to boil".

I just bought a banjo burner and I think it's the best $100 I've spent. My boil times took way to long and it never really had a rolling boil on my old camp burner. My camp burner is 32,000 BTU, which did the job.
I brewed with the banjo yesterday and it ROCKED!
I tweaked the flame and had full control. It took about 15 minutes to start boiling.

I highly recommend the banjo over anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just bought a banjo burner and I think it's the best $100 I've spent. My boil times took way to long and it never really had a rolling boil on my old camp burner. My camp burner is 32,000 BTU, which did the job.
I brewed with the banjo yesterday and it ROCKED!
I tweaked the flame and had full control. It took about 15 minutes to start boiling.

I highly recommend the banjo over anything else.

Awesome! How many gallons did you boil?

My starting volumes was about 6.5 gallons.

The regulator let's you throttle the gas. I chose to turn it down after an initial boil, because it was boiling like crazy.

It's the first time I could actually see the wort while boiling.

I love it!!

My starting volumes was about 6.5 gallons.

The regulator let's you throttle the gas. I chose to turn it down after an initial boil, because it was boiling like crazy.

It's the first time I could actually see the wort while boiling.

I love it!!

That's exactly what I need.. My current burner is 50,000 BTU but it heats the wort until it hits a plateau so I have to keep turning it up every 10 minutes until it gets beyond a boil... It works okay but it is a bit annoying haha

I use NG so the comparison isn't exact, but I love my Banjo as well. While I've also never needed to crank it wide open, the flame dispersion is worlds away superior to my old burner.

Back