Banjo burner wind issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have had the Bayou classic (pictured here) and I am always fighting wind issues. I've even gone so far as to stack a bunch of bricks around the burner to keep wind out but no matter what it seems to keep causing the flames to flare up yellow and red. I watched three people brew on Saturday and none had similar issues with different burners (some very cheap) and zero wind protection. I'm wondering if it's just a bad design because it has such an open area or if my adjustments are off. Any thoughts?

I was having the same problem yesterday (it was windy) & don't really have any solutions for it other than brewing with my garage door mostly closed. I have some flashing I plan on installing around the burner, but I think it's just the nature of the low-pressure beast. I'll trade the quietness of the Banjo over the wind-proofness of the jet burners any day, though.

My fear is the wind issue is causing it to burn extra gas. I just cant see how the wind gets there with my brick wall.

ForumRunner_20110509_182805.jpg

I do love my lp hurricane burner
I use a heat shield and a 2 bar regulator in my system so it might use more gas then rated
is a single ring burner about 10" and seem hasrd to find on.com sites

edit: its this onehttp://www.ingebrethsen.no/index.cfm?tmpl=butikk&a=product_inline&b_id=450333&b_kid=187011

Back