Banjo burner problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I posted this under DIY originally and thought I would try my luck here. I just finished a Brutus 10 style brew stand with banjo burners (Bg-14). It is automated with Honeywell 8200 valve and standing pilot lights. The problem is that when the controller shuts the burner off I get a loud pop. Almost like a back fire. Didn't know if anyone else was experiencing this? These are run on low pressure (11").
I also have a needle valve to turn down the flame when mashing but it doesn't seem to light like it should with the needle valve turned more than half off.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You might want to try turning down the gas pressure a little or verify they are set at 11"WC.

I think I will give that a try tomorrow. I also didn't know if it makes a difference with a pot on top of the burner or not. Thanks

Are you getting the pop with the pot off? If not it is starving for oxygen and you need to put some spacers under the pot to give it more air.

No, I haven't even put a pot on yet. They should be getting plenty of oxygen. I'm using the burner mounts from brewers hardware and the back half is completely open.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391699904.318445.jpg

Why does it matter? Brewhardware regulator as well? I got their orifice's and rings, but got a Fisher R232 regulator

I am building the same thing you built (only not going automated out of the box). Nice looking stand, hope to have mine built and running in the coming weeks.

No i am not running the brewers hardware regulator. I didn't think it would handle the btu's of the two burners. I purchased a 2 stage reg. rated at 160,000 but.

The burner "pop" when shutdown is entirely normal, fire transfers into the inside and lights the remaining fuel/air mix with a audible pop.
A more important suggestion is to move the pilot burner into the wedge shaped opening in the burner casting. This has proven to be the optimum placement for both ignition and durability as most of the pilot hardware is shielded from the main burner flame heat. All the pilot flame has to do is clear the casting and pass over one of the openings. An easy method of elevation setting is to place a flat piece wood or metal on top of burner, and raise pilot burner up until it touches. Test fire the pilot and make final adjustment to get flame over but not touching burner casting.
Here is a link to a build with pilots mounted inside burner https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single-tier-herms-build-293204/index5.html

Thanks for the response kladue. I actually just finished moving the pilots underneath today. Excited to try it out.

Back