Banana cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a banana purée in their cider?
Did you add it in primary or secondary? (I'm thinking secondary would work best)
I'm considering doing a batch, adding 1lb of banana purée per gallon.

If you tried this, what worked? What went wrong?
I just want to reassure myself that this will be as good as I'm imagining

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've also been thinking of trying this, as an experiment.
My cidermaking is 'on hold' at the moment due to commitments, but I'll be following this thread with interest.

If it were me, I would PM Yooper as she makes banana wine and apple wine. Speaking out of ignorance myself, I would think the bananas would dominate the flavor. Here's a link you might find interesting: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=415351

I make banana wine and the flavor is far less domineering and dominating than you might imagine, which is not to say that it is not full of flavor. Not sure if my description is useful but IMO my banana wine tastes a little like a sauterne wine. It most definitely does not taste like over-ripe banana. Does not hit the back of your mouth in quite the same way that the flavor of the fruit does. Never tried blending the banana wine with my apple wine... I really like the flavor of each standing alone...

Use a lot of brown to black ripe banannas, slice them skin and all, do not puree or you will never get the pulp out, add some amylase to booster what the skins are producing to turn the starch to sugars, expect 20+% loss to lees, if you use enough ripe friut you will get a bananna flavor, to much and you got circus peanuts, you know the big orange marshmallow ones:) We simmer our like 20 minutes, but skins and all in a strainer bag, primary volume much larger than what we plan on bottling to allow sediment out. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back