Baltic Porter without lagering capabilities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Every year at this time, I start my adventure on a new brew style. I go for a year, build ffrom a base recipe and see how many true "keepers" I can get ( get about two a year that are real gems).

This year, I want to work at Baltic Porters. I do not have lagering ability which is an obvous hindrance to this style, but apparently there are a few yest strains that are supposed to work out well in this situation.

My basement will generally drop into the mid to high 50's in late Dec and stay there until the end of March - so I have a short window at the lower temps

I have a preference for rye and found a few homebrews where this was added to a Baltic and I loved it - so that is a must.

Targeting 5 gallons in the keg

Here is what I am starting with. I would apprecaite input on this one.

baltic porter first attempt.GIF

I would substitute Carafa II for the Briess Chocolate malt. Baltic Porters are characterized by being dark without the chocolate or roast flavors from traditional dark malts.

Fantastic options everyone thanks

Chocolate subbed with CArafa II special

Yeast selected as Wyeast 2124 Bohemian now

Not familliar with Cararye just yet, but that is on the list for the second itteration.

Wyeast 2112 California lager yeast recommended temperature range is 58-68, they specifically mention Baltic porters as being a style it works well for. So I believe you do have lagering capabilities and should try it out, good luck and Cheers :mug:

Well, two weeks into this batch. Have to clear room in the keeezer (have room now, so I can lager) for the upcoming lagering and bulk aging. Hope it will be ready by mid/late Feb.

Used the Weihenstephan 34/70 yeast. THanks everyone for the recommendation. So far, everything is perfect. Just took my first gravity (zero airlock activity now) and sitting on 1.017FG, so 7.6% abv. Taste is fantasitc. Could probably use a hair more dark fruit flavor, but since there is still a long way to go, no telling how this will mature.

Keep this thread going with your 2018 recipe tweaks on the Baltic Porter. I’ve always enjoyed a touch of Chocolate Malt (~1/3 lb) along with some darker caramel malts. That said, I’m always looking to get different perspectives on recipe approach. Any trials with yeast (Scottish Ale vs German Lager) I’d be interested to hear as well.

At the moment, I am lagering in a corny keg which allows me to pull a sample with little risk of contamination. So far, the flavors are coming along very nicely.

I think that this one will be good enough to put in competition (for evaluation purposes only). I do not the it has a chance at placing, but the feedback will be worth it.

Given the rye percentage, what category should I enter this batch in? Keep it as a baltic porter or would there be a specialty category?

Had to post - cracked the keg this past weekend. Fermentation went off without a hitch at mid 50's in temp. (Thank you good weather and the forgiving Saflager - 34/70) laggered in the keezer in a corny and ran off the first pint. Immediately ran clear. Force carb and off we go.

Presented at my double brew this weekend.

Rye presence was anticipated and hence focused on. At first I thought "oh crap - too much" Immediately after, I realized that had I focussed on the beer instead of looking for errors, there was actually a gorgeous beer in my pint glass.

This is not one to drink cold. rye dominates and there is a sharp edge. When it warms, yuuuuuuummmmmmyyyyy!!!!!

Pours the color of dark maple syrup with a tan and persisting head. No hops on the nose - just a chocolate and not quite roasty smell. Fantastic body and a touch chewy - grabs your tongue and clings in your throat just a little. Good malty backbone with a fig, caramel, and dark chocolate taste. There is a bit of a fruit flavor, like if a cherry and an apple had a kid, but that is subtle and comes during the finish. Very nice change up there

Next time around, I am thinking to reduce the Carafa II by .15 lb to .25 lb and bump the Special B to .8 lb. I almost think this might be too much. It is really good. It may be best to repeat before changing.

Hey PC- think outside the box and you can lager. You already have a somewhat cool basement. Put your corny in a water bath bucket and trade out 1/2 gallon ice bottles. Lagering temps can be easily achieved. I've lagered, then bottled 2 brews so far this fall/winter and have another 3 lagering now. Nope, I don't have a keezer, just muck buckets and a cold garage.
Good luck on your exploration of the Baltic porter!

Back