Baltic Porter recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Baltic Porter
OG - 1.100
FG - 1.026
IBU - 34
SRM - 38
ABV ~10%

Pilsner - 10 lbs
Munich II - 5 lbs
Vienna- 3 lbs
Red Wheat - 1 lb
C120 - 1 lb
Chocolate malt - .5 lb
Black malt - .5 lb
Special B - .25 lb

Magnum - .75 oz (60 minutes)
Hallertau - 1.5 oz (10 minutes)
Hallertau- .5 oz (flame out)

Wyeast 2206 - cake

Maybe a little too much caramel malt? Maybe the Vienna will get lost? Maybe a bit too dark? I dunno - looks solid to me.

All set to brew this in a week after kegging my Dunkel. I’m a bit concerned the IBUs are a touch low for a beer this size. Thoughts?

I've done a little bit of research on the style recently, but haven't ever brewed one so I wouldn't want to begin critiquing your recipe. I am interested to hear how this goes.

Edit: I overlooked the bit about the hops... I recently brewed a RIS and an IIPA, both of which were between 10-10.5% ABV. I'd say don't be afraid to go up to 40-50 IBUs or so. My IIPA was 50 IBUs (lots of dry hops) and I wished it was a little more bitter. The RIS handled the 65 IBUs just fine.

Last edited:
Brewed this on Thursday. Ended up keeping the recipe as it was. Hit 1.090 OG and it is happily fermenting away at 50°. This one will need some time but I’ll post results when it’s ready.

Update - Fermented down to 1.014 (~10%). Gravity sample was not good. Going to keg and lager until September.

Update - Fermented down to 1.014 (~10%). Gravity sample was not good. Going to keg and lager until September.
What was wrong with it? I sometimes hate my gravity samples - usually saisons - and they always get better with time. I recently did a Munich Helles where the gravity sample was boring at best, and it turned out to be by far the best beer I've brewed when compared to style.

Cloyingly sweet up front and harsh going down. I agree that it will be much better and hopefully delicious after a few months of lagering and mellowing out.

1.014 does not sound cloyingly sweet to me, personally. Perhaps the body makes it feel sweeter than it actually is? I agree with others in that you can't judge a beer from a gravity sample. I've had gravity samples that taste terrible and the finished beer turns out great (and vice versa).

How old is the beer? In my experience, big dark beers don't start to hit their stride until at least two or three months in. Some will take 6 months or more. I would bet lagering will almost certainly improve this beer. Please update! I'm interested to hear how this goes.

Turned out very nice. Malty and smooth. At ~10% abv I probably should have used a smaller 🤪
CC89C348-79D8-4F16-A43E-E822980BE9F8.jpeg

Thanks! I really appreciate the follow up....Glad to hear it turned out good.

I made a similar Baltic Porter last year. Finished the last one just over a month ago. It definitely gets better with age. Cheers!!

Back