Baltic Porter Recipe - Comments welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Hi all,
Trying to replicate Baltika No 6 (a Baltic Porter). This is what I came up with so far, based on the brewery's description of their ingredients, and the BJCP guide for what's typically used in this type of beer:

12 lbs Pale 2-row (Canada, because that's what I have :))
8 oz Crystal 120 (for body, and Baltika's website indicated 'caramel' malt is used)
8 oz Roasted Barley (for slight coffee/burnt flavor, website says 'burnt' malt used)
8 oz Vienna (BCJP calls for it, and I like it...)
4 oz Crystal 60 (see Crystal 120 reason)

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 50 mins
1 oz Saaz @ 25 mins

1 whirfloc tablet @ 15 minutes

1lb 8oz Molasses (Added near end of boil, hopefully gives it that kick I'm looking for)

Irish Ale yeast (White Labs WLP004)

OG: 1.080
FG: 1.021
ABV%: 7.6%
Color: 28.6
IBUs: 30.5

Any thoughts? I'm trying really hard to get that sweet twang that Baltika No 6 (and McEwan's Scotch Ale) has, which might be treacle, but BJCP guidelines (and Baltika's website) indicates molasses is used...

I got this recipe from Chumley on hbd.org. It is wonderful

Okocim Porter clone

OB 1.080 FG 1.012 36 IBUs. Black as the ace of spades.

12 lbs. two-row
2.5 lbs. munich light
0.5 lbs. aromatic
1 lb. brown malt
1 lb. caramunich
1 lb. carafa special
0.5 lbs. Special B

Mash at 150°F for 90 min. I added a tablespoon of calcium carbonate to the mash.

1 oz. Maryncha 6.5% 60 min
2 oz. Lublin 4.2% 30 min
1/3 stick brewer's licorice 15 min

S-189 yeast fermented for 3 weeks at 56°F, followed by 3 months lagering

So please do tell.. Did you ever brew the Baltika No 6? And how did it come out.. I am trying to master the Baltic Porter. And I have brewed ALOT OF THEM.. but I am to dam picky.. I keep missing it. So I am trying to get the feel of what others have done and compare to what I have done. So please share your thoughts on your beer.. Thanks :mug:

Need equal amounts of Munich, Vienna and Pils to start with then add specialty grains

Way too much pale "base malt" in those recipes IMHO

I thought this style uses lager yeast....

Generally, but it can also use ale yeast if it's cold conditioned. As I find using lager yeast a PITA temperature wide, I've gone with ale yeast and just keep it as cold as I can (low 60's).

So please do tell.. Did you ever brew the Baltika No 6? And how did it come out.. I am trying to master the Baltic Porter. And I have brewed ALOT OF THEM.. but I am to dam picky.. I keep missing it. So I am trying to get the feel of what others have done and compare to what I have done. So please share your thoughts on your beer.. Thanks :mug:

I ended up using treacle during the priming stage and I think it gave it a somewhat metallic flavor. It's only now coming together a little better. It's good, but for the first few months it definitely had a metallic twang (probably from the metal can the treacle came in?).

I still can't seem to pin down the taste of Baltika No. 6, however. I'm pretty sure it's not the base grains I'm looking for, but just can't figure out what extra ingredient they're using.

BJCP lists Munich and/or Vienna as base malts
Could that not be the flavor you are missing?

That's what I initially thought, but I have made a subsequent batch using Munich (and a little vienna) for the base and it still doesn't give it the taste I'm looking for. It's definitely a molasses type taste that I can't pin down.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I noticed the base malt problem after i had brewed the batch listed above.

Funny I have messed with my Grain bill all over the place.. at least 10 batches.. and I too seem to be missing the molasses (and raisin) taste. I come close with messing with Special B and carafa.. I think it is a very complex combo of Special B and Carafa, Plus licorice and Molasses.. 10+ tries down.. and more to come.. I want it! I have been wondering about Dark Candy additions?

I think it is a very complex combo of Special B and Carafa, Plus licorice and Molasses.. 10+ tries down.. and more to come.. I want it! I have been wondering about Dark Candy additions?

Hmm... licorice could be what I'm looking for... I've got an almost full bottle of absinthe I might experiment with next time around...

I just attempted another Baltic with Polish hops (lublin) and a pretty hefty dose of licorice stick.. so we will see.. just moved it to the secondary today. Used a German Lager yeast (White labs).. Maybe this is the one? if it is I will post the recipe. Now off to find Marinka hops just in case I didn't get it...

I just attempted another Baltic with Polish hops (lublin) and a pretty hefty dose of licorice stick.. so we will see.. just moved it to the secondary today. Used a German Lager yeast (White labs).. Maybe this is the one? if it is I will post the recipe. Now off to find Marinka hops just in case I didn't get it...

Last place I was able to find them was about 6 month ago on ebay @ $25/lb delivered.

(Bump)

So how goes it now? Any closer? I am VERY interested in a #6 clone as I just had my first one today and was amazed.....

The beer turned out good (especially after a few months), but it's not anywhere close to the taste of Baltika #6. Next time I'll try the licorice, but I haven't been able to brew anything for the past few months due to being crazy busy.

That's what I initially thought, but I have made a subsequent batch using Munich (and a little vienna) for the base and it still doesn't give it the taste I'm looking for. It's definitely a molasses type taste that I can't pin down.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I noticed the base malt problem after i had brewed the batch listed above.

If you have a russian market near you there is a concentrate that is used to make kvas, it is a little like a molassas but differant, perhaps this is the ingrediant that would give the taste you are looking for

Here's mine...

2.45 kg Vienna
2.45 kg Munich
2.45 kg Pils
600g Pale chocolate
300g Crystal 120
300g Brown Malt
150g Smoked Malt

Back