Ballast points sculpin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep us posted on how it turns out next to the real deal, I added the zest and juice of 2 grapefruits to 10min boil and it was no where close to the prominent up front grapefruit taste of the actual Ballast Point version. wondering how much of the flavor you will get out of the rind added to ferment bucket or whether it will be like dry hopping and simply add more to the nose of the beer?

before carbonation (and this will affect the taste, for sure) the taste and smell of grapefruit-spiked Sculpin clone was very grapefruit-strong. More so than the regular prior-to-spiking Sculpin, which also had both flavor and aroma of grapefruit.

I will let you know how it turns out in about 10-14 days time or so, but from tasting the gravity samples, I prefer "regular" Sculpin, prior to adding all the zest.

I did something like @charmin1073's recipe but cut the crystal and added some corn sugar, cut out the 30 min addition and halved the dry hops amount. Zested 4 red grapefruit and soaked in vodka overnight, added to secondary and racked on top, left it for 3 days and kegged. 1.066-1.004.

Tons of citrus in the aroma, the blend of bitterness was very grapefruit forward and it was very dry. We'll see what the final product tastes like cold, carb'd and conditioned.

batch size 5.5 gal
og 1.067
SRM: 5.0

GW pale 2row: 12lbs
Corn sugar (@20): 1lb
C20: 0.5lb

cascade (6.6) 2.0oz fwh
simcoe (12.0) 1.0oz fwh
centennial (9.0) 0.5oz @60
chinook (11.5) 0.5oz @60
columbus (15.4) 0.5oz @60
simcoe 0.5oz @ 20
amarillo (8.0) 1oz @ 0
amarillo 2oz dry hop 5 days
simcoe 2oz dry hop 5 days

Unable to imput fwh in the brewing app I use, so IBU level I'm not too sure. I'd guess it's around 80 or so. Might have to pull a pint of this tonight to check carb levels.

... Might have to pull a pint of this tonight to check carb levels.

Any reason is a good reason in my book :)

I've had mine bottle conditioning for about 2.5 weeks now and it's tasting very good. Unfortunately it didn't end quite dry enough, so I'll have to retry brewing this ;)

Any reason is a good reason in my book :)

I've had mine bottle conditioning for about 2.5 weeks now and it's tasting very good. Unfortunately it didn't end quite dry enough, so I'll have to retry brewing this ;)

It's my second time making a clone of this beer and this one is much closer than the first.

If you use the recipe above I'd suggest reducing the corn sugar to .5# :mug:

I did something like @charmin1073's recipe but cut the crystal and added some corn sugar, cut out the 30 min addition and halved the dry hops amount. Zested 4 red grapefruit and soaked in vodka overnight, added to secondary and racked on top, left it for 3 days and kegged. 1.066-1.004.

Tons of citrus in the aroma, the blend of bitterness was very grapefruit forward and it was very dry. We'll see what the final product tastes like cold, carb'd and conditioned.

batch size 5.5 gal
og 1.067
SRM: 5.0

GW pale 2row: 12lbs
Corn sugar (@20): 1lb
C20: 0.5lb

cascade (6.6) 2.0oz fwh
simcoe (12.0) 1.0oz fwh
centennial (9.0) 0.5oz @60
chinook (11.5) 0.5oz @60
columbus (15.4) 0.5oz @60
simcoe 0.5oz @ 20
amarillo (8.0) 1oz @ 0
amarillo 2oz dry hop 5 days
simcoe 2oz dry hop 5 days

Unable to imput fwh in the brewing app I use, so IBU level I'm not too sure. I'd guess it's around 80 or so. Might have to pull a pint of this tonight to check carb levels.

Wow, how'd you get the FG down that low? I only managed 1.011. Somehow it went up a point from primary after secondary.

For those who've bottled when did you find the premium drinking time was? Mine has been conditioning a week. I'm guessing drinking it quite fresh is important because of those nice hop aromas will be at their best.

Wow, how'd you get the FG down that low? I only managed 1.011. Somehow it went up a point from primary after secondary.

For those who've bottled when did you find the premium drinking time was? Mine has been conditioning a week. I'm guessing drinking it quite fresh is important because of those nice hop aromas will be at their best.

I mashed at 149/150 and fermented for 12-13 days before dry hopping/transferring to secondary. One 11g pack of S05.

Also it's been close to 90 ambient temps here lately so I've been trying to keep it below 72-74 but having a tough time with a swamp cooler. I was thinking perhaps the vodka I soaked the zest in helped lower the FG a little bit since the only reading I took was when kegging.

That keg kicked quicker than nearly any keg in the past. Shared a bunch with neighbors and family, everyone loved it.

I mashed at 149/150 and fermented for 12-13 days before dry hopping/transferring to secondary. One 11g pack of S05.

Also it's been close to 90 ambient temps here lately so I've been trying to keep it below 72-74 but having a tough time with a swamp cooler. I was thinking perhaps the vodka I soaked the zest in helped lower the FG a little bit since the only reading I took was when kegging.

That keg kicked quicker than nearly any keg in the past. Shared a bunch with neighbors and family, everyone loved it.

Nice work. I followed a similar process with a partial mash, so maybe the S05 was a difference maker also. I used WLP001.

First sample last night after 11 days in the bottles. Really excellent. The grapefruit flavour was very pronounced. In fact, this tastes more like Grapefruit Sculpin than the regular kind! Hoping that will mellow a bit as they continue to condition over the weekend, but really pleased so far.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
0.59 oz Cascade [6.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 13.4 IBUs
0.30 oz Chinook [13.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 13.3 IBUs
0.26 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.60 %] - Boil 60. Hop 12 12.5 IBUs
0.32 oz Centennial [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 8.9 IBUs
0.27 oz Chinook [13.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 10.9 IBUs
0.26 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 13 6.2 IBUs
0.26 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 14 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Day Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
0.52 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Mash 60.0 min Hop 5 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16 -
0.55 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 7 15.3 IBUs
0.28 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 10.6 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 60 min

Notes:
------
Added Whirfloc @15 minutes

Finished this beer and kegged. Went out and bought sculpin to compare against. This is pretty close, and makes a really good IPA either way, but there are some differences that are not quite nailed. These could totally be a result of actual brew process rather than ingredients, but here are my findings:

Color is a bit darker amber than sculpin
Smell is very close, hoppy and citrusy
Flavor is about a 7 out of 10 in terms of being a clone of sculpin. The flavor is very close up until the finish, sculpin has a distinct crisp bitterness that isn't quite captured here. I would consider them sisters, rather than twins.
Mouth feel is a bit heavier than sculpin as well, which is most likely my fault. I would brew for a lighter body next time.

Overall a delicious IPA that hits a lot of the same notes as sculpin. As a side note it cost me $50 to brew this based on local beer mart prices, all those hops really add up.

11807535_1063260847019046_1369986388378647923_o[1].jpg

Overall a delicious IPA that hits a lot of the same notes as sculpin. As a side note it cost me $50 to brew this based on local beer mart prices, all those hops really add up.

Nice! I think chasing down precise "clone" is often fruitless. Just enjoy the beer as long as it's good and hits the right notes.

as to $50 - I checked my bills and I paid about $24 ($16 for grain, and about $8 for hops - I buy hops in bulk at just below $1 per oz on average). Reused the yeast. Buying hops in bulk and reusing the yeast can go a long way to cut the cost.

I paid $40 in grain bills that day for two beers - Sculpin Clone and an Oatmeal Stout, and that included Irish Ale yeast for $8 or so.

Nice! I think chasing down precise "clone" is often fruitless. Just enjoy the beer as long as it's good and hits the right notes.

as to $50 - I checked my bills and I paid about $24 ($16 for grain, and about $8 for hops - I buy hops in bulk at just below $1 per oz on average). Reused the yeast. Buying hops in bulk and reusing the yeast can go a long way to cut the cost.

I paid $40 in grain bills that day for two beers - Sculpin Clone and an Oatmeal Stout, and that included Irish Ale yeast for $8 or so.

Where do you shop? I normally go to the homebrewer in el cajon.

Does anybody have an idea on how they make the grapefruit sculpin. I've heard adding grapefruit zest @10 minutes, @F/O, and also dry hopping

It's very tasty, having enjoyed several this evening. I wouldn't have an idea how to brew it but I wish you all success.

Does anybody have an idea on how they make the grapefruit sculpin. I've heard adding grapefruit zest @10 minutes, @F/O, and also dry hopping

be careful because in my experience zest adds some bitterness. My regular sculpin came out with strong grapefruit taste from hops alone.

be careful because in my experience zest adds some bitterness. My regular sculpin came out with strong grapefruit taste from hops alone.

What hops did you use? My recipe has Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial so I'm anticipating grapefruit from the hops but wanted a way to incorporate fresh grapefruit flavor like the GF Sculpin.

I've heard that the white pith on the grapefruit skin can add bitterness. Did you leave that on or remove it. Also when was the zest added?

What hops did you use? My recipe has Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial so I'm anticipating grapefruit from the hops but wanted a way to incorporate fresh grapefruit flavor like the GF Sculpin.

I've heard that the white pith on the grapefruit skin can add bitterness. Did you leave that on or remove it. Also when was the zest added?

I used this recipe, but subbed Tomahawk for Warrior, since that's what I had in bulk. Came out great.

I zested 2 Grapefruits, trying not to cut into the white, but maybe I needed to be even more careful. However, I also read that yeast can eat sugars and behind most sugars hides bitterness.

I made a tincture by adding zest into vodka and soaking it for two days or so. I split the batch, bottled half as usual, and added the tincture to the second half, let it sit for another 2 days or so, then bottled that.

As a result, the regular Sculpin (without any tincture added) taste just right "grapefruity", while grapefruit version is a bit too strong on grapefruit, to the point it also has bitterness tones. Next time I may just scale up the hops a bit if I want to get more grapefruit in.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.3 %
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Mash 60.0 min Hop 5 5.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 23.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 9.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 6.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 11.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 6.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 2.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 7.8 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 13 -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 15 -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Brewed this recipe as 1st 10 gal batch ever yesrerday. Took much longer than originally thought. But in the end two 5 gal buckets full of this is nice! Loved this last time I brewed it. No grapefruit this time. I might add zest &juice to one bucket and leave the other alone to compare end results.

Gravity is down to 1.016. Added dry hops to both batches. Got zest from 6 grapefruits and juiced 5 of them, brought it up to boil and then cooled it and mixed it into one batch only. I figure if final product is too strong with grapefruit then I can just fill 1/2 glass of normal version and 1/2 glass grapefruit version to tone it down haha.

Side by side....the slightest of difference in color as well as taste but I mean minimal difference in taste....this clone was money!! I actually like my version better than Ballast Points, it's smoother as well as a much more "real" grapefruit taste. The amount of grapefruit is utterly perfect. Definitely my best batch ever!

Gravity is down to 1.016. Added dry hops to both batches. Got zest from 6 grapefruits and juiced 5 of them, brought it up to boil and then cooled it and mixed it into one batch only. I figure if final product is too strong with grapefruit then I can just fill 1/2 glass of normal version and 1/2 glass grapefruit version to tone it down haha.

So you just did the original sculpin clone and then just added the juice and zest after fermentation completed? Did you secondary? How long did you leave it before bottling?

I tried making a grapefruit IPA, not really a sculpin clone as I went off on my own and created my own hop schedule. Unfortunately I accidentally added my huge whirlpool hop addition at 10 minutes instead of what was supposed to be my 10 min addition (DOH!) Estimated IBUs is 85 which scares me as it is only estimated 6.8%. Long story short I added a ton of hops with grapefruit characters as flavor additions and added zest of 3 large grapefruits (3 gallon batch) @5 minutes without knowing how the final product would turn out.

Please let me know the details on adding the juice and zest to the batch, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Northern Brewer just released their "Grapefruit Pulpin'" clone beer a few days ago...

I made a partial mash version of this last month which I have started drinking in the last week and it is amazing - I can't stop drinking it! Gonna have to get another batch on asap.

Here's the recipe I used:

3kg Extra Light Dry Extract
500g Carapils
300g Vienna

Hops – 60 min
13g Citra (13.8%)
13g Simcoe (15.5%)
7g First Gold (8.3%)

Hops – 30 min
6g Amarillo (7.3%)
6g Citra (13.8%)
6g Simcoe (20 min) (15.5%)

Hops – Flameout (10 min whirlpool)
25g Amarillo (0 min) (7.3%)

Dry Hops
45g Amarillo - Dry Hop 7 days
45g Simcoe - Dry Hop 7 days

Yeast: SafAle S-05
Ferm temp 18%

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
ABV: 6.9%
Estimated Color: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 69 IBU
IBU/OG: 1.11 (bitter)

It is already really grapefruity so I can't imagine adding more for the grapefruit version - seems perfect as it is. Thanks to everyone who has posted recipes itt - this one's a real winner :)

Northern Brewer just released their "Grapefruit Pulpin'" clone beer a few days ago...

I just brewed a 5 gallon all-grain batch of this one this past weekend. I did not buy the NB kit, I just assembled the ingredients from the instructions from the LHBS..

I am also NOT using Simcoe in the dry hop. I am not a fan of that hop (Simcoe is to cat-pissy for me) so I am switching out an ounce of Galaxy for the Simcoe (which should also help bring out that "passion fruit" taste in this beer) in the dry hop but other than that and switching the yeast from S05 to Wyeast 1318, I made no changes to the recipe.

I plan on zesting 6 grapefruits and soaking the zest gently in a mason jar with a small amount of vanilla vodka for the dry hop phase with the remainder of the hop bill (as mentioned before the only hop change being the Galaxy subbed in for the Simcoe).

My water profile for this one was 100% RO Primo water and was built up to look like this:

Calcium - 119
Mag - 5.2
Sodium 8.0
Sulfate - 132
Chloride - 131
BiCarb - 16

Mash Ph was 5.4 right on the nose and OG was 1.067

Will report back to this thread on how it turned out with pics but as of now, its gently and happily fermenting away at 67Deg.

So you just did the original sculpin clone and then just added the juice and zest after fermentation completed? Did you secondary? How long did you leave it before bottling?

I tried making a grapefruit IPA, not really a sculpin clone as I went off on my own and created my own hop schedule. Unfortunately I accidentally added my huge whirlpool hop addition at 10 minutes instead of what was supposed to be my 10 min addition (DOH!) Estimated IBUs is 85 which scares me as it is only estimated 6.8%. Long story short I added a ton of hops with grapefruit characters as flavor additions and added zest of 3 large grapefruits (3 gallon batch) @5 minutes without knowing how the final product would turn out.

Please let me know the details on adding the juice and zest to the batch, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Sorry for delayed response haha. I never secondary. Just cold crash and gelatin finings to clear it. I zested 6 grapefruits, then cut them in half and juiced all of them. Combined the juice and zest and brought to boil then cooled to 70 deg's and added to ferment bucket at same time I dry hopped. Was in a rush to keg this time so left it for about 4 days before kegging. Usually I do 5-7 days. I have experimented with adding to boil and adding to fermenter and adding to fermenter definitely brings out the flavor better.

Yesterday I did an AG 'clone' mimicking a NB kit my buddy bought.

It called for .5oz Chinook and .5oz of Cascade at 60, 20, and 5. After the 60 min I had to sub Cluster because I was out of Cascade.

The last addition was at flameout - 1oz Amarillo and .5oz Chinook.

I have pink grapefruit zest vodka to add at bottling. I used US05 for yeast.

I'll report back when it finishes.

Brewed this recipe as 1st 10 gal batch ever yesrerday. Took much longer than originally thought. But in the end two 5 gal buckets full of this is nice! Loved this last time I brewed it. No grapefruit this time. I might add zest &juice to one bucket and leave the other alone to compare end results.

There are several recipe variants in this thread, did you use the one in post 299?

Played in brother-brother golf tournament yesterday at Bellevue C.C. in Syracuse,NY. A beer distributor is a member, and reps Sculpin. Available in cans on course, due to connection. He has told my brother it is his hottest, most profitable brand. We enjoyed the round with numerous cans. Swing oil was definitely in play.

There are several recipe variants in this thread, did you use the one in post 299?

nope, page 2 #16:
Sculpin IPA 5 gal - American IPA
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.014
ABV: 7.1%
Bitterness: 98.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 75% 15 L

1 oz Amarillo FWH
.5 oz Columbus @ 90 min
.5 oz Magnum @ 60 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
.25 oz Columbus @ 60 min
.5 oz Crystal @ 30 min
.25 oz Centennial 1@ 30 min
.25 oz Simcoe @ 30 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
2 oz Amarillo dryhop
2 oz Simcoe dryhop

Tasted my grapefruit version nxt to the real thing and extreme minimal difference. Liked mine better (was smoother) and so did everyone else that tried it!

I just brewed a 5 gallon all-grain batch of this one this past weekend. I did not buy the NB kit, I just assembled the ingredients from the instructions from the LHBS..

I am also NOT using Simcoe in the dry hop. I am not a fan of that hop (Simcoe is to cat-pissy for me) so I am switching out an ounce of Galaxy for the Simcoe (which should also help bring out that "passion fruit" taste in this beer) in the dry hop but other than that and switching the yeast from S05 to Wyeast 1318, I made no changes to the recipe.

I plan on zesting 6 grapefruits and soaking the zest gently in a mason jar with a small amount of vanilla vodka for the dry hop phase with the remainder of the hop bill (as mentioned before the only hop change being the Galaxy subbed in for the Simcoe).

My water profile for this one was 100% RO Primo water and was built up to look like this:

Calcium - 119
Mag - 5.2
Sodium 8.0
Sulfate - 132
Chloride - 131
BiCarb - 16

Mash Ph was 5.4 right on the nose and OG was 1.067

Will report back to this thread on how it turned out with pics but as of now, its gently and happily fermenting away at 67Deg.

So its been on the gas for 3 weeks and this one turned out stellar! It does not have the "bite" that the GF Sculpin has on the front end which I actually prefer but smells right on the nose and drinks very easy. Honestly, I prefer this one to the original. This one has that soft pillowy smooth-ness with that juicy hop mouthfeel that I like to get in a fresh IPA.

12995EA0-6839-4AD4-9D44-B9F726BCD393_zpskqywlv9b.jpg~original

Another pic:
5210830E-3B98-46FC-AF9B-1E55A86B41FD_zps3wzbuxlj.jpg~original

Here is the beer advocate ag recipe for this. Gonna brew this as my next beer since it is so good.

North Star IPA (the homebrew recipe that became Sculpin). I'll leave cleaning up the formatting as an exercise for the brewer.

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
80.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) 1.8L America 1.036 2
7.3 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 24
9.1 1.25 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 45.6 Mash H
0.50 oz. Warrior Pellet 16.30 35.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.40 15.9 60 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 7.10 7.8 60 min.
0.25 oz. Tomahawk, F-10 Variety Pellet 16.40 18.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Crystal Pellet 3.60 2.0 30 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.90 5.6 30 min.
0.25 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.60 7.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.60 0.0 Dry Hop
2.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 9.40 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
1.00 Unit(s) Whirlfloc Tablets Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I brewed this recipe, but as I desired Grapefruit Sculpin, I made the following adjustments:

Replace Simcoe (in all instances) with the equivalent AAU of Galaxy for more grapefruit notes
Add the zest of three grapefruits at knockout

This turned out to be the best batch of beer I've ever brewed, and I'm coming up on 300 gallons brewed over the past three years.

Fair warning -- I lost a TON of volume to hop sludge. This has a literal f*** ton of hops in it and it was made worse when my LHBS guy converted the Hallertau northern brewer AAU's (I made an 8 gallon batch instead of 5) using strictly Hallertau, as he didn't see my "NB" designation next to it. This resulted in slightly more hops than intended, but I'm still willing to bet most will have a ton of hop sludge volume loss regardless.

A+

Just bottled 50 bottles of GF Sculpin and I cannot wait. It smelled amazing. Something tells me I will be brewing this one again real soon.

I followed the North Star recipe posted by IPAAAA (3gal BIAB) using WYeast ESB yeast because my LHBS was out of WLP001 (and WY1318 and WLP007, too). This was my first batch in nearly a year and it turned out great. I kegged it on Monday night and it's already carbed. I need to pick up a six pack for comparison. Hope it lasts until TG!

EDIT: I took this pic about 15min after pouring, so the head already dissipated by then. Has a soft mouthfeel with no real lingering bitterness or sweetness. One of my best beers to date. One thing of concern is the 1.028 FG, down from 1.071 OG, but that may be due to the ESB yeast. Mashed at 148 for 45min, pitched yeast at 63F and held for 3 days, dry hopped on day 4 and ramped up temp 1F/day until 72F, kegged after 12 days. I will definitely brew this again in the near future.

View attachment 1447985236096.jpg

Last edited:
Ballast Point is finally distributing to Michigan. With any luck, I may be able to pick up a few bottles today. Fingers crossed.

EXTRACT:
6 lbs Dried light malt extract (DME)
1 lbs corn sugar

HOPS
60 minutes
.50 oz warrior
.50 oz Magnum
.25 oz northern brewer
.25 oz columbus

30 minutes
.50 oz crystal
.25 oz centennial
.25 oz Simcoe

0 minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo

DRY HOP
2.0 oz of Amarillo
2.0 oz of Simcoe

YEAST
White labs california Ale yeast wlp001

Hi guys,

I plan on brewing this recipe this weekend but since i am new to brewing i can't quite figure out the details here.

I only have a 1 gallon starter kit, so i need to adapt this recipe since this is originally for 5 gallons, right?

Also, if any of you could please describe the steps for this one i would be really grateful. The only beer i brewed before this one was a Brooklyn Beer Kit all grain, so it will be my first time using extract and i have no idea on how to proceed :confused:

i said i had the recipe last night when i woke up this morning my inbox was filled soo here u go I got this recipe from the ballast point its a extract recipe i have yet to make it but used parts that i liked from it to create something new this ale is a more citrus like Ipa but with a kick let me know how it comes out CHeers:mug:

EXTRACT:
6 lbs Dried light malt extract (DME)
1 lbs corn sugar

HOPS
60 minutes
.50 oz warrior
.50 oz Magnum
.25 oz northern brewer
.25 oz columbus

30 minutes
.50 oz crystal
.25 oz centennial
.25 oz Simcoe

0 minutes
1.0 oz Amarillo

DRY HOP
2.0 oz of Amarillo
2.0 oz of Simcoe

YEAST
White labs california Ale yeast wlp001

Pretty new as well. I've made probably 6-8 batches. I'm pretty confused as to what grains to use? I don't see them on the recipe

Latest posts

Back