Ball Lock Posts, NPT or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalonsUpPuckDown

Reaction score
I'm just getting into CO2'ing things and am not sure how to proceed with regard to ball lock adapter posts. I see some posts are NPT and some are not. I understand the difference, does anyone know which are more prevalent? I'm DIYing my own tap system for small batch kegging. In the grand scheme of things I suppose it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask the experts. Here's what I'm looking at, thanks for any assistance.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ad...r=2C80TFNQ8EX6CJDF9MER&qid=1646851634&sr=8-52
vs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

I'm just getting into CO2'ing things and am not sure how to proceed with regard to ball lock adapter posts. I see some posts are NPT and some are not. I understand the difference, does anyone know which are more prevalent? I'm DIYing my own tap system for small batch kegging. In the grand scheme of things I suppose it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask the experts. Here's what I'm looking at, thanks for any assistance.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ad...r=2C80TFNQ8EX6CJDF9MER&qid=1646851634&sr=8-52
vs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw
Are you referring to the threads in the "Body" of the ball lock connector, OR the threads on the adapter sold for fitting ball lock connector bodies to other than a standard keg post?
If you mean the adapter thread itself; Adding to a non-existing flat surface go with the straight thread. Adding to an existing pipe thread go with the NPT.

Last edited:
The threaded risers on cornelius style kegs are clearly non-tapered, and the posts do not use the threads to seal.
That's the job of those little O-rings under the dip tube flanges.
I believe the same is true with adapters such as those shown [edit] particularly as there are nuts involved :)

Cheers!

Are you referring to the threads in the "Body" of the ball lock connector, OR the threads on the adapter sold for fitting ball lock connector bodies to other than a standard keg post?
If you mean the adapter thread itself; Adding to a non-existing flat surface go with the straight thread. Adding to an existing pipe thread go with the NPT.
The latter. Got it, thanks.

vs.

I would imagine the Amazon "tech" support folks in South Africa will probably be able to explain it to you.

Oh, right... probably not.

The first items are weldless bulkheads meant for installing through a hole in a tank The bottom side threads are 1/4" BSPP (straight) thread.

The second item is not a bulkhead but just an adapter with 1/4" NPT (tapered U.S. pipe thread).

What you've described about your project doesn't provide enough context to give you any guidance on which would be better.

I would imagine the Amazon "tech" support folks in South Africa will probably be able to explain it to you.

Oh, right... probably not.

The first items are weldless bulkheads meant for installing through a hole in a tank The bottom side threads are 1/4" BSPP (straight) thread.

The second item is not a bulkhead but just an adapter with 1/4" NPT (tapered U.S. pipe thread).

What you've described about your project doesn't provide enough context to give you any guidance on which would be better.

I'd 100% always buy from you Bobby. Amazing.

Neither of those are prevalient. Those are for adding posts or adapting. Most of us just buy kegs with threads already welded onto the body, and they already have a post on them. Are you trying to make a keg out of something else?

Neither of those are prevalient. Those are for adding posts or adapting. Most of us just buy kegs with threads already welded onto the body, and they already have a post on them. Are you trying to make a keg out of something else?
I am a small batch brewer (2.5-3g) and like using those 5l mini kegs (I can hear y'all laughing but it works for me). I'm a pretty good DIY'er and want to build a more robust system than I currently have to force carb and serve from these kegs. I was all set to go but then discovered NPT vs. "straight" and it threw me for a loop. The NPT posts on Amazon are cheaper than the straight but I don't want to make a boo boo here. I supposed it doesn't matter much as long as I get the correct brass tee fitting from Lowes. Anyway, that's what I'm up to.

I am a small batch brewer (2.5-3g) and like using those 5l mini kegs (I can hear y'all laughing but it works for me). I'm a pretty good DIY'er and want to build a more robust system than I currently have to force carb and serve from these kegs. I was all set to go but then discovered NPT vs. "straight" and it threw me for a loop. The NPT posts on Amazon are cheaper than the straight but I don't want to make a boo boo here. I supposed it doesn't matter much as long as I get the correct brass tee fitting from Lowes. Anyway, that's what I'm up to.
No one's laughing. There's nothing wrong with brewing small batches. Easier to brew than full batches and it allows a better focus on the hobby, to experiment and improve. I actually find I end up brewing more beer over time when doing half batches.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Are you talking about the cheaper 5l kegs with a rubber bung on top ? If so check this out:

Yes, the cheap 5l kegs, this is what I'm doing. To NPT or not to NPT, that is my question.
I have a real good supply house/hardware store near me. They have everything old and new and they could not get anything to adapt to those 19/32 fittings as in your second link. Without seeing the rest of your plan I hesitate to say, but I bet you are going to have to go with the NPT as in your first link posted. If you make something like the video that I posted above, you can use a carb cap that has the barbed end under it to charge your keg. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back