Ball lock issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to kegging and seem to be having trouble with the ball lock connectors for the out valve. The first connector I had was getting harder and harder to remove everytime I used it, and even though it wasn't too old, I swapped it out for a new one which was fine for a few batches, but now this one is also becoming a struggle to remove. I had to lever it off. I'm wondering if it's something I am doing wrong. It fits fine on the line cleaner I made.
Cheers.

Pics are helpful. Are you sure you have the correct connection? There is a slight difference between the liquid and gas quick disconnects.

First off, I'm going to assume that you are using the correct black colored liquid ball lock fittings on the "Out" connection of the keg. These things can get pretty crusty so first off, I'd make sure they are clean. These fittings are neglected by many brewers and can get pretty nasty. Use a flat blade screw driver to unscrew the top and remove all the parts. Clean and sanitize them before reassembling. Some keg lube on your post O-rings will also help a lot and will cut down on leaking tendencies. Check also that someone didn't put a gas post on the keg by mistake (they are slightly different). Your ball lock fittings should work for many kegs as long as they aren't abused.

Check also that someone didn't put a gas post on the keg by mistake (they are slightly different). Your ball lock fittings should work for many kegs as long as they aren't abused.

I didn't know that the nuts were different so may have reassembled them wrongly after cleaning. Will check later. What's the difference in them?

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

The in "gas" post has notches cut in the nut. The out "liquid "post is smooth.
D

The in "gas" post has notches cut in the nut. The out "liquid "post is smooth.
D

I was going to say that the OUT post has hexagonal base and the IN post has sprocket like appearance.
There is also a small difference in the diameter of the post if I remember correctly.

FYI - O-rings can cause problems as well. I bought a bunch of replacements that were a little too thick. I had a hell of a time getting the QDs on and off. I finally bought more from a different place and it was like night-and-day. No more problems.

Another thought is the hardware may just be junk. I've found that the brand new, single handle, made in China, corny kegs come with crap hardware. I had to replace the beer post on mine after 2 uses as I couldn't get the QD on without a hammer. It's been fine for about a dozen batches now.

I was going to say that the OUT post has hexagonal base and the IN post has sprocket like appearance.
There is also a small difference in the diameter of the post if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure that this is always the case. I have a keg now that I own one keg now that the base is hexagonal on both the in and out side, and in the past I have also owned kegs like that. I just purchased a keg from a LHBS and it has the bases like you mentioned.

Back