Baldness and it's effect on humanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I just heard an ad on TV for Bosley. They asked me a simple enough question:- Which would you prefer, a full head of hair or baldness (Paraphrasing) My instinctive reaction was "bless hair, I never used it when I had it and I don't need it now"

Now, as someone who started losing his hair in his 30s I admit that going bald is a pain in the ass. I can't say I enjoyed the process, but it didn't worry too much at the time. The only thing that annoyed me was that there seemed to be no hair style to go with in society that would accept this transition!

It seems that whatever you do with your receding hairline, the hirsute hair Nazis will accuse you of trying to somehow hide the fact that you are going bald. This is not always the case. As I remember it, hair was always a pain in the ass. Just a load of fungus-like stuff gifted with free will that somehow demanded daily attention. I don't ever remember trying to hide the recession of my hairline......The only thing I remember is wondering what the hell i can do to stop these wankers thinking I am obsessed with trying to hide my baldness!

I am happy to shave my head, but still, the hirsute among us try to convince me that shaving my head is another ploy to pretend I am not bald.

Get a fvking life you ********! I shave my head about once a month simply because I actually LIKE being bald! If I were trying to hide that fact, then I would shave every single day and wax that dome! No, I let it grow enough so that you can see my hairline. I just don't give a fook.

The actual point of this post......

some of those pics on the Bosley commercial looked good with their new hair. Others looked like dicks and looked better in the "Before" pictures.

I feel a shave coming on! :D

I still have memories of seeing my dad's hairline go away when he was in his late 20s/early 30s. Having never really "liked" my hair as it was, I kept it short and sweet as soon as I was out from under the control of parents (college). Wore a flat top mostly, until I got tired of spending beer money at the barbers shop, and invested in my own clippers. Wasn't long until I got tired of the hair clippings and commenced to peel it with a razor. Been doing it ever since.

I laugh in the face of those hair commercials.

I once tallied how much I save by not getting haircuts, buying combs, and hair products.

I save so much it justifies the expense of smoking. ;)

I went bald in high school at a time when women worshiped long hair (re: Beatles). Fast forward 40 years, the same women expect guys their age to still have a full head of hair!

I actually want to gain weight to in a few years when I'm even more bald, I can just shave it and not look like the cancer patient I would look like with a shaved head now.

My wife compares her not wanting me to go bald when I'm older to my not wanting her to be fat. WTF! Fat, you have control over, Bald, you do not!

I razor my head 3 times a week (every other day). Wife loves it...thinks its sexy.

course you have to have the dome to pull it off. Mines pretty nicely shaped.

I've got the whole receeding hairline/thinning on top. no 'pattern baldness' yet.

I started going bald in my early 30's. Ironic, considering that in my 20's, I had locks going half-way down my back. I've now lost more in back than in front. To be honest, I really don't give a damn, either. I'm not going to shave it all off, as I just don't see that being a good look on me.

My ex m-i-l tried giving me crap for combing my hair back, and "trying to cover up your bald-spot." Until I pointed out to her that I ALWAYS combed my hair back!

I have the opposite problem to thick it just wont stay down with it being short when I had shoulder length hair it was fine .the barber has to use the thinning shears on my hair every two weeks .

So as I type this post the ad at the bottom of the page is for hair direct.

I started going bald a couple years ago and I dont really care. Im only 23 now, but it was a question of when not if for me. I have had pretty much the same hair cut so people cant really say Im trying to hide it with a hair cut. I also wear hats a good bit. Again I did for years before I started loosing my hair so Im not trying to cover it up with the hat. I also dont wear a hat Monday through Firday. It does suck getting sun burned on the top of your head so the hats help with that.

A couple of my firends try to give me **** about it and my response is "so your shallow enough to not be firends with me becasue of my hair" and that usually ends it.

I think you're all just jealous of my manly locks! :p

If I start balding, I'll definitely shave it off. Receding, I could probably pull of a George Carlin ponytail :D

I am all for mass balding and the greenhouse effect. The more sunlight reflected back into the atmosphere should warm things up nicely.

As I tell my kids whenever they start to get on me about my hair line; grass does not grow in a busy street. It will however grow in horse manure.

bald is awesome... but the 1 week to 2 week growth is like a cat tongue catching my shirts and towels. i shave my head (with a foil not blade) every few years for the hell of it. and no im not receding anywhere.. nice and thick still. hair sucks ass! the ammount of work to wash and comb and condition.. after 18 years of 1/2 - 3/4 buzz, i let it grow for 2 years from 1/8 and while it could be tied off, it is lame! im glad i wasn't born female.

Another shaver here. Three times a week my head is baby bottom smooth. I have been shaved for almost four years and before that, I made two donations to Locks Of Love.

Laughing Gnome Invisible is a very handsome fellow

Patrick_Stewart.jpg

Preach it! I noticed I was 'growing' my father's hair line when I hit 25. Gradually cut it shorter and short and said this is ridiculous. SWMBO had gone shopping with mom for the day so I bic'ed it. SWMBO was a little shocked by it but after a few days she said she really liked it, and looking at pictures with my thinning hair she prefers it that way. The funny thing is Mom used to ***** non stop about me cutting my hair so short, the instant she saw it Cue balled she loved it.

I love it, I should shave every day cause it grows so fast but every other day is tolerable. The headblade rocks, but I've found the dual razor blades work so much better than the triples. Haven'y had the courage to use my old fat boy DE safety razor up there yet.

Some things I have noticed since choosing to be bald.
One, you can find the AC vents in a building in no time flat.
Two, when bald people smack their heads, they smack the $hit out of it.

I'm losing mine slowly. At 35 I have more than my dad did at 35 and that's a good thing. But really I don't care much either way.

My older brother, 37, is super vain and seems to be having a hard time coping with the idea that he is losing his hair. I actually enjoy how he worries about it. haha.

My dad started losing his since before I could remember. Easily early to mid twenties. He had a comb-over type of thing for a while, then just trimmed it closer and had "The Ring".

He was always pretty athletic, and one year while I was around high school age, he played tennis like every day. He shaved his head and grew a man chu. Looked totally bad-ass. He never did it again.

Me? I still got lots of hair. I guess I got it from my mom's side. Her dad had great hair until her died (50's). I did start going grey years ago, and now have that temple grey and some salt and pepper all over.

I don't mind my hair, but sometimes I wish I could just break out the razor and go smooth. Shaving would probably be as much work or more than a 1 minute comb though.

bald is awesome... but the 1 week to 2 week growth is like a cat tongue catching my shirts and towels. i shave my head (with a foil not blade) every few years for the hell of it. and no im not receding anywhere.. nice and thick still. hair sucks ass! the ammount of work to wash and comb and condition.. after 18 years of 1/2 - 3/4 buzz, i let it grow for 2 years from 1/8 and while it could be tied off, it is lame! im glad i wasn't born female.

if you were born a girl you might be shavin some other place ....:)

Back