Baking Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezaking886

In the name of god ;)
Reaction score
Hello homebrewers ;)
So, here is the story. Today I found a some baking yeast in my kitchen cabinet and thought about throwing it away since I couldn't think of any use,
and suddenly a question popped in my head, Is it possible to make an alcohol beverage, using only baking yeast?
Oh, and since I didn't want to waste the yeast, I considered not wasting money as well; Which means that the only ingredients I want to use are water, sugar, and this little bit of Baking Yeast that I found.
So, what do you think? Is it really possible to make a beverage using baking yeast?? If yes, how?? thanks ;)

plain sugar water won't ferment. and baker's yeast doesn't settle out good. but if you want buy a couple gallons of apple juice and add it to it for a quick easy good drink.

Hello homebrewers ;)
So, here is the story. Today I found a some baking yeast in my kitchen cabinet and thought about throwing it away since I couldn't think of any use,
and suddenly a question popped in my head, Is it possible to make an alcohol beverage, using only baking yeast?
Oh, and since I didn't want to waste the yeast, I considered not wasting money as well; Which means that the only ingredients I want to use are water, sugar, and this little bit of Baking Yeast that I found.
So, what do you think? Is it really possible to make a beverage using baking yeast?? If yes, how?? thanks ;)

Ew. that's my thoughts.

plain sugar water won't ferment. and baker's yeast doesn't settle out good. but if you want buy a couple gallons of apple juice and add it to it for a quick easy good drink.
well, im a newb who wants to push some baking yeast he found in his kitchen cabinet to its limit :p
and know nothing, absolutely nothing about "brewing". I would be very very thankful if someone helps. :thumbsup:

well, im a newb who wants to push some baking yeast he found in his kitchen cabinet to its limit :p
and know nothing, absolutely nothing about "brewing". I would be very very thankful if someone helps. :thumbsup:

well after years of brewing beer, i thought all you had to do is add yeast to sugar water. but when i was forced to get into harder things. i found it doesn't work. doesn't take much but the yeast need nutrients. i've done a wheat germ tea, sugar wash with baker's yeast, did it up to 16%, mixed it with coke. wasn't TOO bad. if you cook rice at all, you could save any extra water, add your sugar and yeast to it.

use a calculator for how much sugar though, osmotic pressure will kill yeast cells. Brewer's Friend would be a good free one online.

well after years of brewing beer, i thought all you had to do is add yeast to sugar water. but when i was forced to get into harder things. i found it doesn't work. doesn't take much but the yeast need nutrients. i've done a wheat germ tea, sugar wash with baker's yeast, did it up to 16%, mixed it with coke. wasn't TOO bad. if you cook rice at all, you could save any extra water, add your sugar and yeast to it.

use a calculator for how much sugar though, osmotic pressure will kill yeast cells. Brewer's Friend would be a good free one online.

That's what I thought first. Mix the water and sugar, then add yeast, and wait until ferments...
But I thought that it would be best to ask some experienced brewers. I'm thinking of a nutrient..., do you think Tomato paste is a good thing to add to the sugar wash after adding yeast to it? 🤔

You two should get a room. :rolleyes: More
seriously: I'm curious how this works out. I've
always thought of that old bakers yeast as an emergency backup plan, but never known if it's really gonna make "acceptable" beer, whatever that means.

You two should get a room. :rolleyes: More
seriously: I'm curious how this works out. I've
always thought of that old bakers yeast as an emergency backup plan, but never known if it's really gonna make "acceptable" beer, whatever that means.
I actually thought of throwing it straight into trash, but thought that maybe i can make use of it instead just wasting it lol

only if you're trying to make paint thinner. better off making a thin flour paste. probably actually taste good. ;)
flour paste? srsly? lol
making the paste would be more trouble than the beverage itself 😂😂
I'm thinking for the simplest, easiest way possible. (since you know, it's just baking yeast)
and I just wanted to see what baking yeast could be capable of.

flour paste? srsly? lol
making the paste would be more trouble than the beverage itself 😂😂

you've never made a rue, or gravy? just don't cook it in oil first... stir it in cold then bring to boil till thick then add that to your fermenter, along with the sugar and yeast. no garuntee but should ferment.

but thought that maybe i can make use of it instead just wasting it lol

if you're not interested in brewing, make a smothy with it, dry yeast is the best source of Folate and Thiamin there is!

i actually buy 2lb bricks of yeast for just that purpose, i add rice bran, yeast, some sugar. add milk, and blend. oh and some vanilla flavoring. lots of b vitamins....helps me keep my liver from blowing up in my face!

you've never made a rue, or gravy? just don't cook it in oil first... stir it in cold then bring to boil till thick then add that to your fermenter, along with the sugar and yeast. no garuntee but should ferment.
no, never made anything it's my second time brewing in my life if i'm not wrong lol

a rue is for cooking. so is gravy? normally it's cooked in fat to get rid of the green taste then water added so it works as a thickener....but for brewing i'd skip the fat cooking part, and just stir it in cold water first....

it makes fine beer! i just stopped using it because i was having to dump every first pour down the drain because of yeast in it. realized i was dumping half my kegs!
hmmm maybe, but i don't think BAKING yeast would be worth it lol
im currently thinking of a nutrient that i just take and give to my wash so it doesn't die from hunger :p

a rue is for cooking. so is gravy? normally it's cooked in fat to get rid of the green taste then water added so it works as a thickener....but for brewing i'd skip the fat cooking part, and just stir it in cold water first....
hmm, i just read this in a website:
  1. Before you start to make alcohol at home, make sure to properly sterilize and clean all the storage containers and utensils. Do this by sterilizing them in boiling water or wiping them down with isopropyl alcohol. This crucial step helps prevent unwanted bacteria from contaminating your homemade alcohol recipe.
  2. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Turn the heat to low and add the sugar.
  3. Using a wooden, nonreactive spoon, stir to dissolve and form a sugar solution.
    4. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
    5. Add the baking yeast and stir well to combine. Transfer to a glass jug with a small mouth like a carboy with an air lock. Fill only up to 3/4 of the jug’s entire volume to leave space for the fermenting liquid to give off bubbles of carbon dioxide.
    6. Store the jug in a dark, warm room for the duration of the fermentation process. Shake the jug to give off excess carbon dioxide for 45 to 60 seconds twice a day without removing the airlock.
    7. The homemade alcohol will take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to be ready. You'll know when there’s no more carbon dioxide fizz, you can smell the alcohol, and sediment has settled to the bottom of the jug.
    8. Strain the homemade alcohol and transfer through a thin tube to a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Heat until warmed to 122 degress Fahrenheit – this kills any remaining yeast and lets off the remaining carbon dioxide.
    9. Transfer the mixture back to the jug and use a clarifying substance before beginning the process of distilling your homemade alcohol for consumption.

Do you think it is any good? 🤔 🤔 🤔
it doesn't say anything about nutrients...

didn't work for me? how i found out about turbo yeast!
well, tbh, i'm doing this as a hobby and something that keeps me busy in quarantine, and maybe gain some experience in brewing.
do you think this small project of mine would success if I do what said in this article I just sent?

my dear friend, i don't think you know the barbari making process / its needed tools.
Why not bake bread with it? Such as Barbari?
my dear friend, i don't think you know the barbari making process / its needed tools. thanks actually, you gave me a good giggle :)

OR....cookies. idk apple juice might work. if the idea is to end up with something? anything would work. if you want a good drink i doubt you will get one.

if you have kegs you can try to make something with water and fruit. or grape juice. in my opinion it would be more work than its worth.

anyway i seriously have just dumpped 10 gallons of cheap apple juice in a storage tote, and added bakers yeast. just pitchered it out, but i did put it in the fridge to get cold before drinking. it was fine.

and apparently some people have luck with honey too? they call it mead or something like that?

OR....cookies. idk apple juice might work. if the idea is to end up with something? anything would work. if you want a good drink i doubt you will get one.

if you have kegs you can try to make something with water and fruit. or grape juice. in my opinion it would be more work than its worth.
hmm, cookies is a good idea...

1. Before you start to make alcohol at home, make sure to properly sterilize and clean all the storage containers and utensils. Do this by sterilizing them in boiling water or wiping them down with isopropyl alcohol. This crucial step helps prevent unwanted bacteria from contaminating your homemade alcohol recipe.
  2. In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Turn the heat to low and add the sugar.
  3. Using a wooden, nonreactive spoon, stir to dissolve and form a sugar solution.
    5. Add the baking yeast and stir well to combine. Transfer to a glass jug with a small mouth like a carboy with an air lock. Fill only up to 3/4 of the jug’s entire volume to leave space for the fermenting liquid to give off bubbles of carbon dioxide.
    6. Store the jug in a dark, warm room for the duration of the fermentation process. Shake the jug to give off excess carbon dioxide for 45 to 60 seconds twice a day without removing the airlock.
    7. The homemade alcohol will take anywhere from 3 to 10 days to be ready. You'll know when there’s no more carbon dioxide fizz, you can smell the alcohol, and sediment has settled to the bottom of the jug.
    8. Strain the homemade alcohol and transfer through a thin tube to a large, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Heat until warmed to 122 degress Fahrenheit – this kills any remaining yeast and lets off the remaining carbon dioxide.
    9. Transfer the mixture back to the jug and use a clarifying substance before beginning the process of distilling your homemade alcohol for consumption.

ok i'm going to try either apple juice or sugar wash+cookies. I'm going to follow this recipe and add nutrients every 2 days or so. GOOD IDEA?

my dear friend, i don't think you know the barbari making process / its needed tools. thanks actually, you gave me a good giggle :)
Glad to have given you a giggle. Anytime!

But really, a minimum amount of "tools" is needed, some sort of bowl to contain the dough, hands to knead and shape, parchment paper, and a hot oven of course. Flour and water. Sure, you can get fancier.

Glad to have given you a giggle. Anytime!

But really, a minimum amount of "tools" is needed, some sort of bowl to contain the dough, hands to knead and shape, parchment paper, and a hot oven of course. Flour and water. Sure, you can get fancier.
all of those tools for some baking yeast i didn't want to throw because i care for the health of our planet? :p come on

well then you SHOULD throw it out, yeast produce co2! and sardine sugar wash, would probably give you gas! even worse! ;)

and if you're willing to buy nutrients. then get some amylase enzyme, and gluco. make a seudo-sake with white rice?
currently my concern is the recipe.
my question is if the recipe i just sent has any problems? because i want to start and do whatever this recipe says : P
i'd be thankful if you answer this question

currently my concern is the recipe.
my question is if the recipe i just sent has any problems? because i want to start and do whatever this recipe says : P
i'd be thankful if you answer this question

sometimes people just have to learn, by trial and error. for a few cents of yeast, and couple bucks of sugar. give it a shot. "the proud, the brave!" :mug:

(honestly the sardines could make a good fish sauce for cooking though!)

So many flaws in that I won't get into them. Well, other than we don't "sterilize" but SANITIZE our post boil (for beer) items. We also do NOT use isopropyl alcohol on ANYTHING. Or at least I've never heard of anyone doing that.

As for what to do with the baking yeast you 'found'... I'd toss it in towards the end of the boil for a batch of beer. About all it's good for in regards to brewing.

BTW, in the US 'distilling' is still illegal according to the ATF. Unless you're licensed at least. Which really isn't viable for home/hobby levels.

Back