Bain Marie-based Heat Exchanger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
I really dig drewbrew82's heat exchnger. My Rubbermaid cooler-based heat exchanger pales in comparison.

For those of us without access to a nice machine shop and/or as many cool tools, I wonder if something similar could be constructed using a Bain Marie pot? I've seen some around 6 and 8 quarts...seems to be about the right size. Does anyone know if they'd hold up without cracking? I was thinking of similar construction to mine, so drilling a hole in the bottom for a heating element and securing it with a nut or coupling on the inside. The coil could be inserted/removed through the top. It wouldn't be quite as cool as drewbrew's, but it seems like it should work and the Bain Marie pots are pretty cheap. Anyone ever tried this?

i like your too.. was thinking of doing one when i finnish my brew kettle.. oh and by the way, all the hop rhizomes i got from you are going good.. the nugget is a little slow but thriving :)

i like your too.. was thinking of doing one when i finnish my brew kettle.. oh and by the way, all the hop rhizomes i got from you are going good.. the nugget is a little slow but thriving :)

My heat exchanger works fine, but I was thinking a stainless steel one would be more blingy.:D

Good to hear the rhizomes are doing well. That's kind of funny about the nugget...admittedly my crown was older growth, but my nugget and centennial are doing the best out of all the ones I transplanted this year. Both are up almost 8 feet. I expected my chinook to go crazy in Utah's (normally) dry climate, but it's only about a foot tall. Hopefully it's just because of all the rain we've had this spring.

Back