Bag size to kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give an ounce of first wort hops a try!
Departing from OP, I had always thought the only purpose was for a 'smoother' bitterness and flavor. My cream ale only uses an ounce of Willamette ( .5 @60 and .5 @30) and ounce of liberty at 5 minutes for an IBU of 20-22. Would first wort hops work in a cream ale and how?
If this would make a difference in how the break works then an 8 gallon (30 liter) pot would be much easier to work with.

Departing from OP, I had always thought the only purpose was for a 'smoother' bitterness and flavor. My cream ale only uses an ounce of Willamette ( .5 @60 and .5 @30) and ounce of liberty at 5 minutes for an IBU of 20-22. Would first wort hops work in a cream ale and how?
If this would make a difference in how the break works then an 8 gallon (30 liter) pot would be much easier to work with.

I'm still working out the flavor affects, but I'm pretty convinced by the anti-boilover properties. I've now done half a dozen batches with about 4.6gal temp corrected preboil in a 5gal pot.

20210615_140651.jpg

For me, I'm settling in on figuring the FWH as a 20 or 30m addition. In other words, if you want to change a recipe's 60m 15IBU addition into a FWH, change the 60 to 20 in your calculator and find the new amount to reach 15IBU. Add that amount during lautering.

YMMV.

Latest posts

Back