Bag Draining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20grit

Reaction score
In a thread, a while back, rice hulls and their use with corn was discussed. Someone mentioned that without rice hulls, the mash would be "sticky".

So, I brewed a recipe a while back that was around 30% flaked corn and 10% flaked rye. I didn't use rice hulls, because I figured there was no chance of a stuck sparge with the bag, and I wanted to see what would happen.

A lot of things went wrong with this brew, but the oddest was that the bag really didn't drain while hanging. I had to squeeze it to get most of the liquids out. It drained initially, but after a few minutes, nothing.

So, have others observed anything similar with flaked corn? Or any other grains?

It was a Kentucky Common, in the ballpark of the Kiss Yer Cousin Rye Kentucky Common posted on this forum.

I just did a breakfast stout clone with 2 lbs of old fashion oats in it and the same thing happened to me, I had to squeeze the crap out of it then sparge. The bag was still draining out hours later after I was done.( I empty and rinse out my grain bag last because I bury them in the garden.)

Back