Bad SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I come home from work last night and go to check on my brews and some how my heater in the brew room was turned up from 63F to 80F! SWMBO, "I don't know how it got turned up." Well if it wasn't me....
I have a sweet mead pushing 30 days in the primary back to chugging away and a Cent Blonde at 2 weeks in the primary, how bad of off flavors would there be for ~8hrs at 80F? I used Wyeast sweet mead and Nottingham for the yeasts

They should both be okay seeing as how it was for a fairly short time frame. Sounds like someone may need a spanking, though. :D

hmmmm.....

I would think it won't be as bad as if it happened at the beginning of fermentation....

Divorce seems like the only logical solution at this point :D

Considering 5G batches have a pretty big thermal mass, they may not even have gone up in temperature that much due to an ambient change of only eight hours. I have been noticing this in my cold house (I keep it at 65-70 and the fermenters are in the warmest room).

I had a similar thing happen, for much longer, and warmer temps. Over 2 days at almost 90F! My father-in-law used my fermentation room to dehydrate mushrooms. My fermentors were reading 85F. I moved them to a different room at 65F, airlock activity started a day later, and they turned out just fine, even excellent.

They are obviously both ruined, if you bring them over to my place I will make them disappear for you.

hmmmm.....

I would think it won't be as bad as if it happened at the beginning of fermentation....

Divorce seems like the only logical solution at this point :D

I hope you price this out first.......that's a damn expen$ive idea.

She probably did you a favor there. I'm reading Chris White's book on yeast, and he actually recommends holding for the first 72 hours at your desired fermentation temperature, then raising the temperature of the wort to the upper limit of the recommended range for the yeast strain. Once the bulk of fermentation has taken place, the yeast really aren't producing esters and negative flavor compounds, so the increased temperature can keep them from dropping out of suspension early and will encourage them to continue cleaning up some of the nasty byproducts of fermentation.

well back from work again and yeah the temp is back at 64 where i left it this morning so some on obviously got the point not to touch things...um well somethings.:D
They are obviously both ruined, if you bring them over to my place I will make them disappear for you.
sure but you gotta come here to yooperland to get them
:mug:

Back