Bad smelling yeast and bad smelling beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
So I brewed my third all grain batch, which is basically my third batch at all. I brewed Jamil's Nutcastle straight from the "Brewing Classic Styles" book. I used no sparge BIAB, and hit all my numbers really well. It's August in Oklahoma, so cooling took a while. Even using a second chiller in an ice chest full of ice. After about 45 minutes I put it in my fermentation chamber and cooled it to 68 before pitching. I did have to keep fighting flies off, but none got in the beer. Just the top of the chiller and such.

So far, pretty good up to that point. I then pitched two packets of Wyeast 1028, as listed in the book. They were mfg in April, so not the freshest, but I thought it was close enough. They kinda smelled bad. Not yeasty, kinda poopy, maybe. I thought it was weird, but they both smelled the same, so I went with it.

It took about 40 hours for fermentation to start. I noticed it bubbling pretty hard one evening. Two days later it had slowed significantly and the gravity had dropped from 1.051 to 1.018. FG is supposed to be 1.013. Hydrometer sample was ok, but I'm not used to drinking flat beer, so it's hard to say. I gave it a couple more days at 68, then bumped to 75 for a few days to clean it up.

I came back after the four days at 75 and started cold crashing. (I'm getting this schedule from brulosophy btw) I decided to take a sample. And it smelled horrible!!! The sample was obviously cloudy and I pulled some trub in. But man! It was like a mixture of poop and canned cat food. The airlock has always smelled good and fruity.

I think I'm gonna continue to cold crash, gelatin fine, keg and probably try to scrub with some CO2 before carbonating. I'll give the beer a chance before I go dumping it.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Was it bad yeast? Or is the trub that nasty. I can't imagine it could be if yeast is repitchable.

I'm kinda at a loss as to how to fix it, and/or how to prevent it next time. Other than not pitching yeast that smells weird.

Thanks,
Ty

If it is sulfer smelling that could just be a byproduct of yeast that will dissipate over time..
Where are you at in Oklahoma? I am in tulsa. If you are near by I would be happy to come and take a look and smell for you. Shoot me a pm if you are interested

I'm in OKC. So probably a little far for a taste test. I really appreciate the offer though.

And it really wasn't sulfury at all, more rotten.

I recently met another homebrewer that lives a block over. When I transfer to my keg I will have him taste it and see if he has any better idea.

Yeah definitely don't dump a beer till it is a few weeks old with no luck (depending on style) with a brown ale I would wait at least a month before giving up, if not longer

Back