Bad smell with omega yeast labs lacto starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So heres the deal... I bought the OYL lacto blend and made a starter with it. Only stirred it on the plate for a few seconds here and there maybe 4 times total and then at the end to put it into suspension so i could harvest some off (not sure if that messed things up). The starter smelled sorta weird compared to my white labs lacto brevis starters but i used it anyway. The resulting kettle sour was god awful and had to be dumped. Do you guys think stirring it VERY briefly a few times is what ruined it? Is it supposed to smell weird and my kettle sour wasnt done properly? I have had great success with whitelabs. Also, I just put the harvested amount into another starter even though the jar smelled weird, will this starter also be off? Sorry for so many questions, im just confused as to why ive had such bad luck here when i was doing great with white labs. Cheers!

So heres the deal... I bought the OYL lacto blend and made a starter with it. Only stirred it on the plate for a few seconds here and there maybe 4 times total and then at the end to put it into suspension so i could harvest some off (not sure if that messed things up). The starter smelled sorta weird compared to my white labs lacto brevis starters but i used it anyway. The resulting kettle sour was god awful and had to be dumped. Do you guys think stirring it VERY briefly a few times is what ruined it? Is it supposed to smell weird and my kettle sour wasnt done properly? I have had great success with whitelabs. Also, I just put the harvested amount into another starter even though the jar smelled weird, will this starter also be off? Sorry for so many questions, im just confused as to why ive had such bad luck here when i was doing great with white labs. Cheers!

Sounds like you had a contamination issue. It's not supposed to smell bad (even with stirring), and the product is the best Lacto on the market from a yeast lab. How much oxygen exposure did the beer/starter have?

Yeaa i agree, although i did absolutely nothing different in terms of getting the starter going as opposed to all my other starters and ive never had an issue. Ive been able to harvest and keep strains going for many generations with no issue. The starter got swirled a few times before i pitched just to check the temp and the beer got a few swirls with the immersion chiller to help drop temps fast, but i also didnt purge the kettle before souring. This hasnt been an issue with the white labs but i think that is because the white labs brevis is contaminated with yeast and produces its own CO2. I'm going to give this culture one more go and purge the kettle this time and see what happens.

Back