Bad smell after protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have brewed a pilsner lager. as my friend recommended me for protein rest good consequence in lagering, I did it but after protein rest I found a bed smell in kettle, that it continued also in boiling and also after fermentation. Now it is good carbonated beer in bottle, but I feel bad smell yet. I’m going to start lagering after carbonation. do you think the bad smell will remove after 2 months lagering in bottle? how can I repair this smell next time? Is problem for protein rest? Should I skip protein rest next time?
My second problem by protein rest is that it’s more hazy in compare to previous experience.

No it's not a smell from a protein rest. Assuming you used a quality pilsner malt? My assumption is the kettle was not cleaned and rinsed well after prior use. Check your ball valve on the kettle too...when is the last time you took it apart to clean? Could be harboring some nasties in there.

Can you describe the smell you're picking up on? Without knowing what you're smelling, hard to help you out.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that @jdauria is probably right. It's probably a sanitation issue considering it started during your mash.

Back