Bad Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_cbe

Reaction score
I currently have in my possession 3 lbs of low quality honey. This stuff just plain doesn't taste good. My in-laws bought it for me from GFS, which is a restaurant/bulk food store. Lord only knows how long this stuff sat on their shelves.
Any suggestions about what I could mix it with to make a fair mead, or should I listen to the Italians. "You can't make good wine from bad grapes." It might work in a cookie recipe.

If you are absolutely set on using this, because it was a gift or whatever be the reason. Use 1# of GFS crap with 11# of clover and blend throughly do this for 3 separate batches. Trash it or re-gift it and say that you know the taste is sub-par but its healthy.

I would toss it. Mead involves too much time to waste on bad ingredients and the risk of trashing an entire batch ...

One possibility, though, is to make a low-gravity melomel (~1.045) with something like blackberries. It would ferment out quickly and not need long aging. I remember a recipe for a 48-hour mead that was posted, but can't find it.

Well 3lbs really isn't that much, I'd mix it with BBQ sauce & brush it on ribs, chicken, etc... That' about 1/2 of it gone right there, eat the rest on toast, or have another BBQ. That's my 2 cents worth, hope it's useful. Regards, GF.

Back