Bad gas from different styles of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jutty

Reaction score
I've read a couple different posts about people having bad gas during/after drinking homebrew. I have noticed hoppy beers seem to give me bad gas. I brewed an IPA about 60 IBUs, after the first beer the gas would begin and after 3-4 beers (my normal Saturday night limit) my gas was intense! I drink store bought IPAs, even upto 80 IBUs. No gas, interesting! All homebrew: APAs, some gas. American pale wheat, some gas. Red ale, no gas. Oatmeal and Irish stouts, no gas. Any answers? I haven't looked into non fermentable sugars to much (which I read on another post), leaning more towards hops and types of hops possibly? Would love some feed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've always related bad gas, or worse yet the runs, to excess yeast left over in the finished beer. If you want to try refrigerating the bottles for a week or longer and when pouring a glass leave a quarter inch of beer in the bottle.

I agree with ScrewyBrewer, I think it is caused by the yeast. Extending your ferment time and/or secondary and cold crashing all help yeast floc out. That is why you don't get it from the stouts or commercial beer.

If your fermentation isnt complete all those left over sugars will give you gas. Now if you want a totally gassy experience go to a sour beer tasting....you will have you nose buried so far in your glass youll be snorting beer lol.

You guys are soft...I always swirl the last dregs and drink it from the bottle. Never have issues with poop or toots...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What you are experiencing is due to the yeast that your system is not yet used to. Consider them probiotics. Your body will get used to the added gas inducing/gut loosening properties of the yeast from homebrew and it will cease to affect you, or at least seriously reduce its effects in time. Heck, most people have to take fiber supplements for this. Just be courteous to family and friends for a few months and walk out of the room when the pressure builds and all should be fine.

Back