Bad efficiency on an extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdenue57

Reaction score
I just finished brewing the NB Off the Topper kit and my OG was off by about 14 points compared to the stated target. I only hit 1.056 on my OG, their target is 1.070. I added water during the boil to compensate for loss, about 3/4 of a gallon to try keeping my volume around 4 gallons. Could this affect my efficiency? Should I just wait to add water to the fermenter? Any advice is welcome.

:smack: Figured it out. Most of the Heady clone recipes I've seen recommend topping up to 6 gallons to account for loss due to dry hopping, this one 5 gallons. Oh well. I guess that means I just brewed Heady Light!!

There is no concept of efficiency with extract brewing. You're putting the sugar directly into the mix and it's a fixed amount. It's way more likely you took a sample from a stratified watery area.

No, the recipe specifically states to add water up to 5 gallons in the fermenter. I added water to a 6 gallon level. Hence the disparity on my OG reading, I think. Maybe if I had only added enough water to reach the 5 gallon mark, I think I would have been closer to the expected OG. But I could be wrong. Hard telling, not knowing. Lol :drunk:

Back