bacon beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson3030

Reaction score
I've come up with a recipe I want to use but I'm looking for some tips on getting the bacon flavor. I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN EXTRACT. I've read about "dry hopping" with crispy bacon strips. I might wind up doing that but I thought I'd see what others say first. Thanks

Seems like using real bacon would kill head retention (due to the grease.)

Use smoked malt. That'll get a smoky, bacony flavor without having to use actual bacon.

Haven't you heard? Bacon really doesn't make EVERYTHING taste better... ;)

I made a bacon maple Porter using a basic Robust Porter recipe, maple syrup, a small amount of Smoked Malt, and an extract made by soaking crispy bacon in vodka overnight, then transferring the mixture into the freezer to congeal the grease so it could be strained out. Beer turned out OK, but didn't really have a great shelf life. Pulled the last bottle I had (a bomber) I had made 3 months ago last night, and the Essence of Bacon had gone rancid. Fortunately most of the beer was drank young.

Back