Backsweetening with Juice - pour it in or rack it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have 4 gallons of hard cider in the keg right now after being treated with sorbate and sulfites. I want to mix in 1 gallon of apple juice to give the cider a little more sweetness.

I'm somewhat worried about oxidation if I were to just gently pour the juice in. Is it necessary to rack it? What do you guys do?

Before you do anything, I'd make sure the apple juice is really your best sweetener. Sometimes it is. Sometimes cane or corn sugar tastes better, sometimes agave. It depends on what is missing in the taste and that is different from batch to batch if it ferments out too far.

Either way, you can just pour it into the keg. Purge your keg a couple of times when your are done to get the oxygen off the top

Nothing you can backsweeten will match the apple flavor of the original apple sugar. Next time try to cold crash before all the sugar is gone.

Back