Backsweetening & Pasturization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesferatu

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm clarifying 2 batches of cider and I wanted to backsweeten them.
Both used Lalvin EC-1118, one had a cup of cane sugar, the other had 5.
Their O.G.s were 1.05 and 1.07 respectively, both now 1.000.

Now that they're both done, I was debating adding some Tree Top frozen apple juice and kegging them, but I want fermentation to stop. Some folks in my circle have sulfate allergies, so I wanted to avoid that if I can.

What is the best way to backsweeten cider without restarting fermentation?
Thanks!

Your options are cold crashing which needs permanent cold storage and quick consumption with that yeast, or pasteurizing which may be tricky, or back sweetening with an unfermentable sugar of which there are many options and is technically the easiest bit many people prefer to stay away from as many people don't like artificial sweeteners, though not all are artificial.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Because you are going to keg, you will have to use a non sugar sweetener to get the results you want. There are some apple extracts you may try to build flavor.

Is there a way to pasteurize like a gallon at a time in a double-boiler setup?
Since I'm kegging, I don't think it matters if the cider is still when I'm done.
I'm not crazy about exposing it to oxygen for that long and I'm certainly not going to boil it.

I don't want to be too paranoid, but I lost like half my bottles last time I stove-top pasteurized and I'm afraid to try the dishwasher method.

If you keg it and keep it cold, you don't need to stabilize it or pasteurize it. Yeast will go dormant at cold temperatures.

It may not be done at 1.000- that yeast should take it to .990 or so.

If you keg it and keep it cold, you don't need to stabilize it or pasteurize it. Yeast will go dormant at cold temperatures.

It may not be done at 1.000- that yeast should take it to .990 or so.

Can you keg it even if it isn't done fermenting?

Has anyone tried the filtering with success? How does it impact the flavor? Thinking about maybe a 1 micron nominal filter.... I'd appreciate hearing about any other experieinces.

Back