backsweeten before or after oaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezzellca

Reaction score
My apfelwein has cleared, it has also reached the sg I was looking for. Im planning on oaking and sweeting it a little. Should I oak or sweeten first, or does it not matter. I was planning on adding my sorbate and potassium first then oaking then finally sweetening. Only under the impression that the oak may bring out some sweetness. Im looking for a balanced wine, not a sweet wine. Am I over thinking it, or does the order matter?

My apfelwein has cleared, it has also reached the sg I was looking for. Im planning on oaking and sweeting it a little. Should I oak or sweeten first, or does it not matter. I was planning on adding my sorbate and potassium first then oaking then finally sweetening. Only under the impression that the oak may bring out some sweetness. Im looking for a balanced wine, not a sweet wine. Am I over thinking it, or does the order matter?

You generally want to stabilize before sweetening, but only maybe a few days before. I'd oak first. Then stabilize at the next racking, and then finally sweeten about 3 days before bottling.

ezzellca said:

American oak would be the way to go. Adds more 'sweetness' to a wine. Definitly oak first, then taste and see if you want more sweetness from another source.

I would reccomend an ounce or two of american oak (medium toast) for two weeks (for 5-6 gallons). Good luck!

I live in Beijing and I wasn't able to source American oak, but I did find medium toast french oak. I was thinking of using an ounce and half. Sound appropriate?

ezzellca said:
I live in Beijing and I wasn't able to source American oak, but I did find medium toast french oak. I was thinking of using an ounce and half. Sound appropriate?

French oak is more subtle, but not a bad choice by any means. Try starting with an ounce for a few weeks, taste it and see if you have the flavor/sweetness you are looking for. Just remember that you can add more, but can't go backwards, so start off with a bit less than what others seem to be using. Hope it comes out great!

Back