Backcountry beer pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some tooling around out in Central Oregon last weekend. Stopped at the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Hiked up the Big Obsidian Flow. Didn't bring a beer, so my wife fixed it for me. Not much flavor.

lpJTrsz.jpg
But definitely less filling and very low calorie!

Year five of spending Thanksgiving with my college buddies climbing. Done Utah (x2), New Mexico, California, and this year we did Red Rocks in Nevada. Along with our usual keg of Elevated IPA, here were a few beers I remembered to take pictures of.

nWY8V5e.jpg

mzYF06g.jpg

BlVVJUQ.jpg

Badass! If you don't mind me asking, how do you lug a keg around that terrain?

I assume it's in the back of a car/truck.

I was under the impression that they hiked out and camped for some reason.

We were in fact car camping but all the pictures are places we hiked to. When we bring the keg, it is typically in a bouldering crash pad (big foam thingy you place on the ground to cushion your fall, but can be worn as a backpack while hiking). Here is a photo from last year in Canyonlands (and yes, that is a trader joes seltzer bottle cut off to become a keg cup).

FByYw1t.jpg

On thursday, we kayaked from Vashon over to Blake Island, hiked around about half of the perimeter, then across the center. Drank a few beers, marveled at the plants, rocks, and a few streams that had popped up across the beach in the heavy rain. Funny being in view of downtown Seattle without seeing another person all day.

CBhuhci.jpg

30d2pDu.jpg

Damn, it has been two months without a post ITT! I know it is winter in most of the country and we are not all getting out as much but I'm sure someone in here is doing some winter sports and still drinking beer too. We are actually getting a real winter in California, although you can always go to the desert and find some warmth. Joshua Tree National Park with a beer courtesy of chongcheesol.

JaE55GA.jpg

Headed out for a 3 day bike tour of Death Valley this weekend. We decided to cache some water at the half-way point of our loop so that we don't have to carry 30 pounds of water each at the start of the trip and once we decided to do that, we decided we should probably cache some beer too. Might just dig a shallow hole, put the beer in it, drop some ice on top, and then cover with dirt. Will report back if the beers manage to stay cold for 36 hours.

Wow, bikepacking is hard. For a whole bunch of reasons (fitness, heat, road quality, gear), we bailed on our original loop and did a 2 day that brought us back to the car, then a day ride our third day. Which meant we never made it to the cache of beer. My friend that picked the cache back up said the beer was still pretty cold, maybe 50 degrees or so, but all the ice seemed long gone (it was buried a foot or so under the surface). Anyway, I only had one beer with me for the first day so this is my only backcountry beer shot. Have to plan a more reasonable tour next time....

9pl7Ayz.jpg

Wow, bikepacking is hard. For a whole bunch of reasons (fitness, heat, road quality, gear), we bailed on our original loop and did a 2 day that brought us back to the car, then a day ride our third day. Which meant we never made it to the cache of beer. My friend that picked the cache back up said the beer was still pretty cold, maybe 50 degrees or so, but all the ice seemed long gone (it was buried a foot or so under the surface). Anyway, I only had one beer with me for the first day so this is my only backcountry beer shot. Have to plan a more reasonable tour next time....

9pl7Ayz.jpg

Death Valley is legit one of the most amazing places on earth

Another one, this time from yesterday. Biked about 12 miles round trip to try a boulder. A lot more snow than I expected on the north side of the ridge so I probably actually ended up biking more like 10 miles and walking 2. At least I could keep the beers cold once I got to the climbing.

HDyD1y2.jpg

beer3.jpg

Latest posts

Back