Back to Homebrewing After Years of Absense

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man4labs

Reaction score
Being new to this community, I felt obliged not only to say hello to this community but to also get feedback from others on viability of dry malt extract after it's turned into "rock" malt. I'm just getting back into homebrewing after a 4-year absense and wondered if the dry malt extract that has been in storage over that period is still viable to use in my next batch. I'm a stickler for freshness, but also believe in using up whatever back stock is cluttering up my pantry that will yield desired results. Can "rock" malt still be used to yield a decent home brew. I welcome your valuable advise on this.

I've used 6 year old LME & it was ok. Unless you kept it in the attic or another hot spot, it is probably fine. I know with LME, the results are much darker. Make a porter or a stout & use some specialty grain to freshen the mix.

Are you serious? I just posted the exact same post over at Realbeer.com. I just started brewing also after four years. I started my comeback off with an IPA. The bad part is realizing which equipment is usual and which equipment is missing. I moved about 4 years ago which is why I haven't brewed, stuff was stored away.

lol... hopefully no critters found their way into that DME. That would be a GOLD MINE for an ant colony. :)

Its gonna be boiled, so I dont see the problem as long as it smells and tastes ok before it goes in the mix.

Seeing as how DME costs far less than gold, I'd toss it and start with some fresh ingredients. Who knows that kind of off flavors soaked into the DME over 4 years?

Back