Back sweeting ideas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstricker

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I got going on...

4 gallons Costco apple juice
2 can apple concentrate
2# dark brown sugar
Topped off with water to 5.5 gallons
White Labs wlp775

1.060 s.g.

Did this mix last month, accidentally backsweetened with frozen raspberry lemonade... not huge flavor add, but it was really well received.

5 gallon batch, carbed in keg.

My wife and I are looking for some good subtle summertime flavor, any suggestions? Maybe a bottle of that POM juice? Taking any and all suggestions.

I like to back sweeten with concentrate. It ups the apple taste and sweetens at the same time. Also, if you can get European products nearby, you can use any bottled cordial/surup like Ribena or Vimto. Both give a clear berry taste to cider.

i really want to try and make an acai cider...

i've heard some herbs can compliment the berry flavors as well if you wanted to experiment with things like basil, sage, or mint.

I may do some tests with my current batch before i flavor the rest of the new keg... maybe just go with fruit flavor from my LHBS

I may do some tests with my current batch before i flavor the rest of the new keg... maybe just go with fruit flavor from my LHBS
i just experimented recently with racking 2 gallons worth of a similar batch to what you got going from my carboy to 4 growlers and did a blackberry, strawberry, pineapple, and citra hopped. after a small sample taste today, i could definitely see the strawberry and pineapple becoming summertime favorites.

I really like honey. I have also made a ginger pear cider that everyone loved.
I might suggest wine conditioner as a primary sweetener and other juices added for subtlety. I.e. don't try to make your flavours your primary sweetener as well
Keep experimenting!

I am wondering why you topped up to 5.5 gallons using 4 gallons of juice and only 2 cans of FAJC? Minus the brown sugar most (me) would have used 5 cans of FAJC to top up to 5.5 gallons, but maybe I am missing the point of your post. Treetop Berry Blend concentrate really compliments hard cider, but I would say my stand-out favorite is White Grape Peach concentrate added to a batch of cider. Peaches and apricots really bolster the fruit flavor of apple ciders and if you only use a small amount, most people will tell you how great your cider is but they can't pick out the "something different" about the flavor. The French would say there is a certain "je ne sais quoi" about your now extra amazing cider. :)

I am wondering why you topped up to 5.5 gallons using 4 gallons of juice and only 2 cans of FAJC? Minus the brown sugar most (me) would have used 5 cans of FAJC to top up to 5.5 gallons, but maybe I am missing the point of your post. Treetop Berry Blend concentrate really compliments hard cider, but I would say my stand-out favorite is White Grape Peach concentrate added to a batch of cider. Peaches and apricots really bolster the fruit flavor of apple ciders and if you only use a small amount, most people will tell you how great your cider is but they can't pick out the "something different" about the flavor. The French would say there is a certain "je ne sais quoi" about your now extra amazing cider. :)

I'm not sure why I don't use more concentrate... I just stumbled through this recipe once and it came out great at about 8% abv.

I did decide to sweeten with pomegranate juice (1 bottle of organic stuff... maybe a liter) and then some strawberry flavor from my LHBS. Turned out awesome again.

Which brand of Strawberry flavoring did you use? In my past experience a lot of the fruit flavors tasted like cheap hard candy.

I think it was brewers friend... its possible that because I used half a bottle of the flavoring and other real juice that it could have hidden any "artificial" flavor...

I really like honey. I have also made a ginger pear cider that everyone loved.
I might suggest wine conditioner as a primary sweetener and other juices added for subtlety. I.e. don't try to make your flavours your primary sweetener as well
Keep experimenting!

how did you get good pear flavor? Did you juice and make a concentrate?

I am lucky enough to have access to pear trees. I ferment but hold back about 15%. Before bottling I add the held back juice.

Latest posts

Back