Back sweetening with concentrate and clarity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
If i back sweeten with apple concentrate will that screw with my clarity? Right now its crystal clear.

FYI im going to kill yeast and keg if that matters.

If you are kegging, you don't need to kill the yeast to backsweeten. I just make sure 4.5 gallons of my dry cider make it to the keg, cold crash down to fridge temps, then add 0.5 gallons of sweet apple juice. The yeast won't be active at the lower temps, so the cider will stay sweet. How were you going to kill your yeast in a kegged beer? Campden tabs?

You might have some clarity issues for the first 24 hours or so, but it'll clear back up pretty quickly.

If you are kegging, you don't need to kill the yeast to backsweeten. I just make sure 4.5 gallons of my dry cider make it to the keg, cold crash down to fridge temps, then add 0.5 gallons of sweet apple juice. The yeast won't be active at the lower temps, so the cider will stay sweet. How were you going to kill your yeast in a kegged beer? Campden tabs?

You might have some clarity issues for the first 24 hours or so, but it'll clear back up pretty quickly.

Was going to use Potassium Sorbate. I need to prevent the yeast from becoming active because i plan to bottle 12 bottles off the keg for a Christmas present I am giving out.

When I bottle from the keg after backsweetening with sweet juice, I pastuerize by heating the bottles in 180F water for about 10 minutes each.

Back