back from Ireland, beer report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
Also, I guess this is the place for you to tell me about all the great beers I missed and give me a reason to go back sometime.

In Dublin, go to the Porterhouse, have their red ale, oyster stout, an/or plain porter, and be amazed. The red was my favorite. It had these warm, caramel flavors and a little fruitiness. Also nitrogenated, which was a nice way to change things up. As for the oyster stout, it's not nearly as scary as it sounds. It was very full, a little smoky, and had a little balmy-ness. I was too drunk to remember much about the plain porter, except that it was a very nice porter. Something I really liked about their beer menu is that they listed the malts and hops they used.

Also, go to Farrington's and have the chicken wings with a pint of Guinness. For that matter, go anywhere where you can get good oysters and have those with a Guinness. Mmmmmmmm! While I'm on this train of thought, the Guinness Storehouse was pretty neat, if very cheesey and touristy. The gravity bar at the top was definitely the best part (even if it was very crowded). Excellent views!

Then there was Cork, the home of Murphy's and Beamish. Sadly, I never saw either anywhere outside of Cork, but I made a point of drinking loads of Beamish while there. Apparently, Murphy's also makes a pretty tasty red ale, but I only saw it at one pub (corner house). Also worth a visit is the bierhaus, if only for one reason: they have Galway Hooker! That was the best beer I had the whole trip. It's a lager with a pilsner-like malt character and color, but it's got this really nice, assertive hop flavor and aroma.

And, finally, there was Galway. Really all that can be said is that the Hooker was more readily available, and this made me very happy and drunk.

the end

You couldn't find Murphy's anywhere else? That makes no sense...

Next time make your way to dingle too... beautiful there.

You'll find Beamish all over the place here, Murphy's not so much....

Not suprised about being able to get the Galway Hooker more in Galway (seeing as it is brewed there)... One of the bars in my Uni sells it and it's quite nice...

Glad you enjoyed your trip, where did you travel through?

Oh and shame on you if you didn't stop in Limerick!!! :D

Oh and shame on you if you didn't stop in Limerick!!! :D

What visit the Keanes and friends? Not a chance.

+1 on the dingle thing and the whole ringa Kerry. That's a nice bike ride on a dry day.

I'm usually very disappointed with the beer selection in the pubs. I can't stand the lager choice - B and M (no C), Carlsberg and Heineken. Maybe Stella. have no problem with Guinness and the stouts. Ciders are fine, grew up on the Bulmers 2 Liters in the park myself, cant be beat.

As for the offie's: some have the aforementioned beer, plus some Belgians are now coming into vogue. Happy to find Hoegaarden and Chimay.

Forget about your English brews, and I cannot remember any German brews either.

Go on the Abbeyfeale massive!

I have found Beamish in Florence Italy odly enough outside of the Duomo at a bar called J.J Cathedral they day before saint patricks day. what a way to start.. or end..

Galway! Limerick! Im leaving to study for 4 weeks in Galway this thursday with summer abroad!

I was planning on making an excursion down to Cork during one of our weekends and I'll take a tour of the Guiness storehouse in Dublin before my exit flight. For those who have been, what were your favorite cities? No ones been to Belfast?

I should really make a new travel thread, the Irish Travel Experience

Did you take the ferry from Galway to the Aran Islands and see Dun Angus? I spent a couple of months there one night!

Are you off to NUIG, Davis?

I spent 3 months in Galway last summer... it was fantastic! I agree with Galway Hooker. Everyone I was with thought I was crazy drinking it, as they downed their Heinekens, but I absolutely love the stuff. If you're in Galway, you don't have to go to Cork for Beamish. There's a place downtown called The Hole In The Wall. It is great! 3 EUR pints of Beamish! If you're after Hooker, try Neachtains, on Quay street, or The Roisin Dubh. Also, give the Bier Haus a try (it's right next to Neachtain's), for some other Irish beer (O'Hara's, Hooker etc). Tis Coili on Mainguard st. was a great pub with excellent Guinness. Anyways, if you have any questions about Galway, give me a shout. It's a FAN-TASTIC place to spend the summer.

agree with the general view that galway is a quality spot. dublin i'm not crazy about but i've friends there and we've had some great times.

someone mentioned belfast and i liked it a lot, crown liquor saloon is a must, and take a taxi tour of the murals if you can get up there. also if going to the north - get out to the giant's causeway - awesome stuff.

Are you off to NUIG, Davis?

Yeah, we'll be staying the whole 4 weeks in Corrig Village. Im a Civil Engineering student at Univ of California Davis. Im packed to fly out Thursday morning, if I get some pictures I'll post them up when I can.

Anybody ever been to a Gaelic Football match? I hear its like rugby but the ball is more like a soccer ball>

Cool. Corrib village is a pretty nice place, and pretty close to the heart of downtown.

I haven't been to a match, but I watched a lot on tv while I was there. It is played with a soccer ball, but it can be carried. It has to be bounced depending on how may steps you've taken, and you can score in the net like soccer, or over the bar, American football style (for fewer points). It's pretty cool stuff. You should check hurling out though... now that is crazy.

Gaelic isn't much like rugby... Though good to watch (like the hurling) but I much prefer the rugby myself... Cork is fun. As is Belfast. You'll have a blast in Galway, mind you alot of the students will be missing as it's summer...

Back