Back at it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been some years, have brewed 3x in the past but obviously consider myself a newbie. Looking to try an all gain mash, brew a NE IPA. Upon a cursory glance there is a ton of great info here, which I will try to absorb over the next few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone has their favorite advice or tip or thing to focus on (I know it's hard to choose just one), please let me know. Thank you! Looking forward to brewing.

JimRausch sent you great advice. Follow it.

Mine? Assuming this will be a test brew for you as you regain your brew legs...maybe consider brewing a style of beer that will maybe, “hide” any off flavors.

You and I both want to see you have continued success. A dark beer, like a brown ale, porter or stout may fit the Bill.

That may provide you some comfort as you again retrieve your skills on procedure, timing and technique.

My top five (in order):

1) Be meticulous about sanitization with anything that will touch the beer from the moment the boil ends.

2) Have patience (HT: @Sammy86)! It's easier said than done, but you'll almost never regret leaving your beer alone for a few more days before racking, bottling, or drinking.

3) Temperature control will make a big difference in your fermentation (HT: @JimRausch).

4) Avoid doing anything to agitate/oxidize your beer after you pitch the yeast.

5) Relax; don't worry; have a homebrew. (HT: Charlie Papazian)

Ne ipa's hate oxygen, can you do closed transfers and keep oxygen exposure to a minimum? If not you might want to try something else. And welcome back to the hobby!

Cheers

Back