B.I.A.B. First all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjab19

Reaction score
So I jumped shipped and did a small all grain batch today via brew in a bag style. I put together a 2.5 gallon american wheat beer.

Recipe:

2.5 lbs American 2 row
2.5 lbs white wheat
.5 lbs light munich
wyeast 1010

60 minute boil
.5 oz saaz (5.8%) 45 mins
.25 oz saaz 25 mins
.25 oz saaz 0 mins

Calculated for 2.5 gals at 65% efficiency and estimated OG of 1.054.

Following the brew in a bag (BIAB) method you need to add ALL the mash and sparge water to the brew pot. Using brew365.com calculator with 1.33 for mash thickness it said 5.19 gals of water total. Threw that into my 30qt turkey fryer and brought the temp up to 158*F. You don't need to go too high on the strike water because there is a higher ratio of water to grain than what is in a normal MLT situation. Put my paint strainer in and threw in the grains and stirred. Hit my mash temp at 152*F and wrapped a towel around my pot. At 30 mins of mashing had to fire it up because it fell a couple of degrees. After 60 mins turned on the heat to get it to 170*F. Took out the paint strainer that had all of the grains and started to get it to a boil.

Ran out of propane at this point and had to move things inside. Didn't get too high of a boil so I didn't lose as much as I had planned during the boil. Ended up with 3.75gals of wort. The OG ended up being 1.030. So with the same amount of grains but recalculating the recipe with the higher amount of wort the estimated OG should have been 1.036 anyway so not too bad. Lost a little on the IBU front too. Went from 26 to 19. Lost a little color as well.

I highly recommend doing the brew in the bag method for new AG'ers. With a 30qt pot though I don't think I could do more than a 7-8lb grain bill because you need all of the water at once. So either a strong small batch or a light big batch of beer. And all you need is a paint strainer and a veggie strainer at the bottom of the brew pot.

Any help on brewhouse efficiency would be nice. Can't figure out beer alchemy.

Follow the tutorial on brewing networks website. The Brewing Network &bull; View topic - How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

sweet. munich and saaz in a wheat beer is the way to go...yummy.

ahh, yes. i've seen that thread...i read it long ago and it was one of the things that inspired my bag method. i use a "tea-bag" sparge, which may help with your efficiency. check out the thread in my sig...i can do all-grain using only a bag and two small stock pots.
:mug:

I highly recommend doing the brew in the bag method for new AG'ers. With a 30qt pot though I don't think I could do more than a 7-8lb grain bill because you need all of the water at once. So either a strong small batch or a light big batch of beer. And all you need is a paint strainer and a veggie strainer at the bottom of the brew pot.

Any help on brewhouse efficiency would be nice. Can't figure out beer alchemy.

Follow the tutorial on brewing networks website. The Brewing Network &bull; View topic - How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

I do it occasionally, when I need to save some time. I don't always mash with the entire amount of water. Often I just use "enough", and then top it up to my desired pre-boil volume after I pull the grains out. Still, you can't do a huge beer.

I use a very fine bag made out of a sheer curtain. I double crush my grain, and get 75% efficiency. I don't do any type of sparging. I think my high efficiency comes from how fine my crush is.

I think my crush was really good from my LHBS. I just can't figure out the actual calculations of brewhouse efficiency.

I was thinking if I did in fact need all the water because there was just so much of it. Also I suppose you could throw in a pound of DME at the end of the boil to get the ABV up.

If you want to go all grain with this technique all you have to do is buy an Igloo cooler (~$30) and you're set. Check the McGuyver brew system in my sig. I started doing exactly what you're doing, but I wanted to get away from using DME. By using a mash tun, I can much more accurately read pre-boil gravities and calculate efficiency. Good work on movin up to the big boys!

mike

Cap n cork in clinton twp. I thought it was a good crush. A little settled flour, empty hulls of grain, a little uncrushed grain, a nice mix I think.

Back