Best Bitter B³ (Ben's Best Bitter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Yeast Starter
Yes, 1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65-70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nah
Additional Fermentation
Nah
Tasting Notes
An easy-drinking pale ale with a nutty, biscuity (in the American sense) graininess, undercut by the earthiness of the hops. Sweet, but sweet like bread, not cake. The bitterness is just about perfect—definitely present, but not assertive as it would be in an equivalent American style. If I were trying to wean someone off of Bud Light, this is what I'd give them.
p1010175-2.jpg

Disclaimer #1: This was designed to be an ESB, but I missed my OG (due to a poor boil-off) and ended up with a best bitter.

Disclaimer #2: I've never had a proper best bitter, and I've never been to England. I followed a lot of advice scattered around the web in designing this recipe, but I make no claims as to its authenticity.

More info here: https://brew4fun.wordpress.com/2019/01/12/this-one-goes-down-easy/

Grain bill:

5 lbs Maris Otter (Fawcett)
0.4 lb Maris Otter Crystal 70-80L (Bairds)
0.4 lb Crystal Malt I, 42-48L (Fawcett)

Hops:

14g Willamette [5.5% AA] @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 10 min
7g Willamette @ FO

Water:

I used 4 gallons RO/Distilled + 2.9g gypsum, 1.7g calcium chloride. That comes out to about Ca 75, Cl 54, SO4 107.

Process:

I brew BIAB. I mashed for 60 minutes at 154F, stirring a few times, and squeezed aggressively. I chilled to 65F and pitched a 1L starter of Wyeast 1968. Let it rise to 70F by day 2, but it then fell on its own to 68, 67, and eventually 66F where it finished out. Hit FG on day 6, but I bottled at 10 days (with no change in gravity for 4 days). Carb low, around 2-2.2 vols.

Last edited:
Back