AZ water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottsdale

Reaction score
Any AZ brewers in here, specifically the Phoenix /Scottsdale area? I just recently moved here and notice the water is very hard. Wondering what other brewers here have done to combat this on brew day.

I plan on ordering a water profile from the city

Any AZ brewers in here, specifically the Phoenix /Scottsdale area? I just recently moved here and notice the water is very hard. Wondering what other brewers here have done to combat this on brew day.

I plan on ordering a water profile from the city

I just moved away from PHX a year ago. Tap water is absolutely dreadful, tastes like dirt. But at least there's water flowing from the tap, eh?

Many go by the adage "If it's good enough to drink, is good enough to brew." Yeah, I'd use good RO or distilled and build up from there.

Phoenix water, yuk. It's the only place I've lived where I purchased all my drinking water.

I just moved away from PHX a year ago. Tap water is absolutely dreadful, tastes like dirt. But at least there's water flowing from the tap, eh?

Many go by the adage "If it's good enough to drink, is good enough to brew." Yeah, I'd use good RO or distilled and build up from there.

Phoenix water, yuk. It's the only place I've lived where I purchased all my drinking water.
Wholeheartedly agree. Of the myriad of places I've lived in my 49 years, Phoenix tap water is by far the worst.

Once the OP receives a water report it wouldn't hurt to contact HBT member Russ @Buckeye_Hydro to discuss the potential for an RO system for brew day needs (and more, perhaps - like fridge water/ice)...

Cheers!

Looks like 170 - 284 ppm (10 - 17 grains per gallon) hardness. Not really too hard for brewing purposes (150 to 500 ppm goal), but you'll absolutely want a whole house softener to save all your plumbing fixtures. Now, about all those other parameters, like alkalinity, for example...
https://www.phoenix.gov/waterservicessite/documents/wsdprimarywqr.pdf
Russ

Back