Avoiding Oxidation While Driving With Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujeinator

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got myself a bit of a brewing situation going on: I spent the summer at my folks' house and brewed up an IPA/Amber-ish beer right before heading back to work. I just came back home to visit and check on the beer, which is doing fine after 3.5 weeks in primary. I wanted to experiment with dry-hopping, so I just racked it to secondary with half an ounce of good old Columbus. Only problem is, I have to head back north on Friday morning, a six-hour drive. I've been reading the forums, and the popular consensus is that it's really, really bad to take beer in a secondary on even a two-hour trip, 'cause it'll oxidize, but I don't really want to bottle after only dry hopping for 48 hours. If worst comes to worst, I could always try to bottle Friday morning right before I drive, or Thursday and forget about a nice long dry hopping (the beer tasted pretty good already). I was just wondering, though, if anyone had any suggestions about ways to transport that secondary for six hours while minimizing oxidization? Some people mentioned bringing the beer right up to the airlock with sanitized glass marbles-- would that cut it for six hours of shaking? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Flush the carboy with argon, then seal it up. I'd probably just bottle it though. You should have a decent amount of hop aroma after 48 hours of dry hopping.

Cut the dry hopping a little short and bottle on friday morning

Cool, thanks for the advice-- bottled Friday morning and it smelled tasty already. Sometimes the three weeks of conditioning seem like forever...

Back