Avid All Grainer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligans

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong I love brewing all grain... but some times I just feel like brewing an extract kit... why??? Dont know I sometimes like going back to when things were simple... But for 90 percent Of the time I am brewing All grain. Is there any one out there that sometimes does this...? Or am I the only one?

Nah. Grain is cheaper than extract, and I'm kind of a cheap person when the opportunity presents itself.

I did an extract Irish Red last weekend... there are a few recipes on here that are very popular that are extract that id like to try. Extract recipes are simple, they do have that going for them. And, I've made awesome beer using extract.

I do it a lot. My extract brew days are 2 hours while my AG brew days are 4.5 avg. When I want to brew on a weekday night, extract is the way to go. When I can find the time for a weekend brew, AG is where I go.

There is nothing wrong with changing how you brew, that's the beauty of modern homebrew, you can brew good beer with both extract and AG.

Time is one of things in life that is so precious, you have to make due with what you have. Any person who downplays a man for brewing extract, when AG is available, is most likely insecure with his own brewing skill.
-Jeff-

JefeTheVol said:
Time is one of things in life that is so precious, you have to make due with what you have. Any person who downplays a man for brewing extract, when AG is available, is most likely insecure with his own brewing skill.
-Jeff-

I totally agree with this statement. There are admittedly some things you can do with AG that you just can't do with extract, but as a bottom line I would say the best extract brew is VASTLY better than the worst AG brew. In fact, the AG brewers in my homebrew club kind of suck at it lol. I don't ever look forward to drinking their beers.

Also, some people love to brew, but just don't love it THAT much that they are willing to double the time spent on it.

The only time I extract brew is when I make starters ;)

I started with extract beers, skipped partials, and went to AG a few years ago. Since then, I made one extract batch because I liked the description of the kit. It was a fantastic beer.

My reason for not doing extract beers is because of the added costs for no real benefit. If they both cost the same, I'd do extract beers frequently without a doubt. One plus for AG though is recipe creation, which I like having ultimate creative control over.

I started with two extract beers, tried Brew in a Bag, then went straight to AG and have been refining that ever since. I have thought about doing a few extract batches here and there but they seem so expensive when compared to the cost for an all grain brew day. I do lots of ciders and meads and those days seem so easy and care free compared to a 5 or 6 hour all grain day.

When I started brewing there wasn't really an Internet yet, so I didn't know I was supposed to start with extract. So I made a few ciders (Applejack, really) and then just started all grain with a bucket, a colander, a 5 gallon pot, and some hose. And that's what I've been doing for the last 18 years.

That said, there is an extract recipe I discovered 8 years ago or so when I was looking for an ESB, and I still go to it when I'm in the brew store and feel the urge. A "Fat Cat ESB" Clone based on an old Cambridge Brewing Co. beer that is just... good. Sure it's more expensive but it's fast and easy and always gooooood.

Beer is beer right? Mmmmmm.... Beeeeer....

puhisurfer said:
When I started brewing there wasn't really an Internet yet, so I didn't know I was supposed to start with extract. So I made a few ciders (Applejack, really) and then just started all grain with a bucket, a colander, a 5 gallon pot, and some hose. And that's what I've been doing for the last 18 years.

That said, there is an extract recipe I discovered 8 years ago or so when I was looking for an ESB, and I still go to it when I'm in the brew store and feel the urge. A "Fat Cat ESB" Clone based on an old Cambridge Brewing Co. beer that is just... good. Sure it's more expensive but it's fast and easy and always gooooood.

Beer is beer right? Mmmmmm.... Beeeeer....

Welcome to the Internet! And welcome to the forum :mug:

People who are scared to do AG because they're afraid of failing is what's wrong with the US today. It's also why BMC runs the beer industry. People always want the easy way perfect every time. Extract is a great learning tool, but also a big crutch as well. Comparing your extract to my AG beer is like comparing 3rd grade math homework to calculus!

I don't think people are so much scared to do all-grain, it's just that so many books or internet guides tell you that it's what you're suppposed to start off with, just like puhisurfer said. I guess they want to keep it simple so as not to scare people away with so many steps.
To me, it's the same as cooking. Some people prefer to buy their ingredients in a more ready state, such as cake mix. One of my friends makes the best chocolate cake I've ever had. She opens up a few boxes of mix. I'm a silly purist and cook everything from scratch, but I haven't been able to make a chocolate cake I like as much has hers.

tangofoxtrot308 said:
Comparing your extract to my AG beer is like comparing 3rd grade math homework to calculus!

I disagree... however you come by your wort, its only half of the process if that. 3rd grade math to calculus is hardly a just comparison.

I don't think people are so much scared to do all-grain, it's just that so many books or internet guides tell you that it's what you're suppposed to start off with, just like puhisurfer said. I guess they want to keep it simple so as not to scare people away with so many steps.
To me, it's the same as cooking. Some people prefer to buy their ingredients in a more ready state, such as cake mix. One of my friends makes the best chocolate cake I've ever had. She opens up a few boxes of mix. I'm a silly purist and cook everything from scratch, but I haven't been able to make a chocolate cake I like as much has hers.

Excellent analogy! :rockin:

Not a great argument for AG though! lol.

I love scratch cooking as well, but a box cake mix is tough to beat!

Sometimes...I honestly did like 2 batches before I got all excited and got an AG setup lol. I was disappointed doing extract because I would look forward to doing it for weeks and before knew it, 1.5 hours later, I was done, and the excitement was over.

I do sometimes want to do a simple Pilsner beer from extract, fill the pipeline quickly, I just may now that I'm thinking of it again.

I do all grain for the cost savings. Extract is expensive. If extract brews cost the same to make I would probably make them pretty often. I would love to brew after work and get to be at a reasonable time.

It costs me $5 to make the jump from extract to all grain in the form of two 5-gallon nylon paint strainer bags.

Google "BIAB brewing" if you're ready to step up.

passedpawn said:
Nope. I've never, once, thought about doing an extract beer. I like the AG process. If I want easy beer I'd buy it.

Word. I started with all grain. Once I tried an extract batch and felt weird just dumping my wort into a pot haha.

To each their own, but if I had it my way I would be growing all my hops and barley. I like being extremely involved with my brews.

I started with extract and concentrated boils, sterling grains, and evolved into AG but would do a quick extract/steeped grain on some if my favs, but then stopped brewing altogether during a divorce/forced house sale/downsize/regroup and sold all my AG equipment. Now I'm back to brewing extract and looking forward to gradually ramping back up to AG, knowing now what equipment I like and what I'll skip. Next shiney object: converting a keggle. One I'll skip this time around: kegging and force carbonating. But I'm sure I'll still do some extracts.

Life is Good!
David

Life is Good!
David

I started extract, moved to DeathBrewer's PM and then to AG. I have no desire to do a quick extract batch of BEER. I will however make up some wines that would probabbly fall into the extract catagory/style of brewing.

I am planning on making a co-worker a brewer on Nov. 4th (we will do it on the 5th for the ease of a weekend brew day) I am planning on helping him get the very minimum equipment needed to do an extract batch from start to finish AND spending the least amount of money on equipment as possible. We will do it all at his home with none of my equipment. We are planning a 4 gallon Red Rye ale inspired after his favorite commercial craft beer.

DWhitwell said:
... knowing now what equipment I like and what I'll skip. Next shiney object: converting a keggle. One I'll skip this time around: kegging and force carbonating.

Blasphemy! Saying no to kegging? I think you can get booted from the site for saying such things! :)

In all seriousness, why? I recently made the switch and you couldn't pay me to go back to bottling everything. Takes up less room and I can still bottle everything I need. So based on your experience of previously kegging, why skip it (unless it's the obvious up front cost factor. That I totally get).

Nothing wrong with extract and I have sometimes had the urge to brew a batch up just to save time and effort, but then I look at the prices for the ingredients and compare with how much beer I could make with that much in grains.

Extract brewers are just using someone else's wort. It's not as flexible as AG, and some would argue the ingredients are not as good, but I've had some very good beer made with extract.

I do all grain for the cost savings. Extract is expensive. If extract brews cost the same to make I would probably make them pretty often. I would love to brew after work and get to be at a reasonable time.

It costs me $5 to make the jump from extract to all grain in the form of two 5-gallon nylon paint strainer bags.

Google "BIAB brewing" if you're ready to step up.

Discovered BIAB after about three extract or extract and steeping type kits, and have never looked back. Saves $ as a type of AG brewing, and BIAB saves $ in equipment, and time in cleanup.:mug:

cimirie said:
Blasphemy! Saying no to kegging? I think you can get booted from the site for saying such things! :)

In all seriousness, why? I recently made the switch and you couldn't pay me to go back to bottling everything. Takes up less room and I can still bottle everything I need. So based on your experience of previously kegging, why skip it (unless it's the obvious up front cost factor. That I totally get).

LOL! Yes, I knew some would consider it blasphemy, but there is something very Zen about bottling that I just love. Plus, in the process of finding my life after my divorce, I found I needed a simpler, more satisfying life, and while I know I'll be back to AG, which I found very satisfying and connected to the process of coaxing beer from grains, bottle conditioning is more satisfying than kegging and carbonating. Although, I may explore Cask Conditioning...

Life is Good!
David

I just can't go back to extract. My love of brewing doubled after my first all grain batch. Don't know why I waited so long.

I made one beer with extract and it was a mess! I would never consider doing that again. Then again when I make chicken noodle soup (or preferably rivel soup) I make my own stock and noodles (or rivels). I don't really like cake so I cant weigh in on the box deal. I take pride in making food and beer, I personally wouldn't serve friends anything from a can for dinner or other.

Not trying to pick a fight to each his own. But the making a cake story pretty much proves my point for me. It's easier and it taste better so I do it. My friend can do it but I can't so I don't. That's exactly what I said about extract. People do it because it's easier and that don't want to take the time to perfect the art of AG. Not saying I'm better or worse just stating the truth. Also my math example was spot on! Would you tell your friend that his scratch made cake was good but your betty crocker was better? No cause he'd laugh in your face. Doing something when the hardest part is done for you makes it EASIER. And don't say putting in a dry pack of yeast and letting it ferment is harder than properly extrating wort from malted grain. I help my friend do extract all the time pour sludge into water boil and ferment...wow! Make beer how ever you like just don't compare it to AG. I cook tv dinners but I don't compare myself to Bobby Flay!

tangofoxtrot308 said:
Not trying to pick a fight to each his own. But the making a cake story pretty much proves my point for me. It's easier and it taste better so I do it. My friend can do it but I can't so I don't. That's exactly what I said about extract. People do it because it's easier and that don't want to take the time to perfect the art of AG. Not saying I'm better or worse just stating the truth. Also my math example was spot on! Would you tell your friend that his scratch made cake was good but your betty crocker was better? No cause he'd laugh in your face. Doing something when the hardest part is done for you makes it EASIER. And don't say putting in a dry pack of yeast and letting it ferment is harder than properly extrating wort from malted grain. I help my friend do extract all the time pour sludge into water boil and ferment...wow! Make beer how ever you like just don't compare it to AG. I cook tv dinners but I don't compare myself to Bobby Flay!

So why do some extract brewers win homebrewing contests over all-grain beers? Your statements are too broad, in my opinion. Plus, you seem to go out of your way to be insulting to extract brewers.

If your point is that mashing is the most important part of making an excellent beer, well, I think you are wrong. Fermentation control and yeast management are the difference between good and great beer, regardless of whether you mashed the grain or used extract with steeping grains.

So why do some extract brewers win homebrewing contests over all-grain beers? Your statements are too broad, in my opinion. Plus, you seem to go out of your way to be insulting to extract brewers.

If your point is that mashing is the most important part of making an excellent beer, well, I think you are wrong. Fermentation control and yeast management are the difference between good and great beer, regardless of whether you mashed the grain or used extract with steeping grains.

+1

There are things that you can do to improve the average Extract beer, and of course AG gives you flexibility to do things that you just can't do with extract.

But as Pappers says, the reason extract gets a poor light is
1) it's easy, giving a false sense of quality
2) it's more often done by less experienced brewers
c) because of 2) the better methods of brewing (temp control, pitching rate, full boils, etc.) are not as often utilized.

I prefer to brew AG for the flexibility and cost, but there is nothing short changing about brewing extract if the style allows and you use fresh ingredients and the rest of the brewing process is performed with quality in mind.

tangofoxtrot308 said:

In my homebrewing club, we put a large empasis on trying to interest people in the hobby, and mentor them. Basically we just invite guys who seem like they'd be good candidates for brewers to drink our homebrew, and several of them have started brewing on their own. Last meeting, an older couple (60's) produced their first homebrew, a Midwest amber ale. It makes my skin crawl to think of someone piping up with "its ok, just don't try to compare it to our AG brews". This type of EAC behavior is exactly what turns people off from ANY activity.

This will be my last post in this misunderstood thread. I never said extract wasn't good of course it's good the ingredients are premaid? Also I have gotten 3 people I work with to start brewing and yes they do extract. They've made great beer and I tell them! But even when they taste one of mine that isn't great they tell me they understand how hard it is doing AG. Ferm and temp control are important but me setting my temp dial and coming back in a week isn't very challenging. If mashing isn't that big a deal then I'll just pour 10lbs of sugar into water from now on to make wort. And the next time someone post asking for help with mashing temps just tell them it's not important worry about your ferm temp? There's a reason you can't enter a box cake into a baking challenge. As far as me turning people off from brewing I laugh because you assume you know me by one post. If I stopped every time someone hurt my feelings I'd still be in elementary school. To all brewers I salute you! You're doing something most people don't have the balls to do. As long as you have fun it's cool all I ask is to try AG at least once and then judge how much more challenging it is.

Definitely. I've been AG for about 3 years, but when AHS had their 20th anniversary sale, I got 3 extract kits. The time of extract always tempts me, but the cost (I'm a cheapie) convinces me other wise. The sale negated that :)

I tried AG this past summer and have enjoyed it, but I still foresee doing extract as well as kits at times. Winters are -40C so being out in that is not fun for brewing. I'll do some simpler extract with smaller boils over the winter months.

B

Latest posts

Back