Average krausen drop with US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
I've brewed a few times now with the US-05, and it usually ferments really fast, given the other unchanged variables with the brew. I have a 1.072 OG IPA in the tank, and krausen hasn't fallen after 9 days. Is that normal?

I believe it to be temperature related. I've noticed when my fermenting beer temp is 60-62 it takes a lot longer to ferment out, than when its 64-66.
The payoff is cleaner taste when keeping it at lower temperatures.

Yes its normal.

Relax, have a beer....or a coffee if you don't want to look like an alcoholic this early in the morning ;)

Wait till FG is reached & it's settling out well before any dry hopping is done. The krausen should fall by then.

unionrdr said:
Wait till FG is reached & it's settling out well before any dry hopping is done. The krausen should fall by then.

You don't need to wait until FG is reached to dry hop according to Matt Bryndilson of Firestone Walker, dry hop near FG for better utilization cuz the hop oils will get mixed in more with some yeast activity

You don't need to wait until FG is reached to dry hop according to Matt Bryndilson of Firestone Walker, dry hop near FG for better utilization cuz the hop oils will get mixed in more with some yeast activity

That 's not exactly true. The more yeast you have in suspension at dry hop time,the more yeast cells there are to get coated by the hop oils & settle to the bottom with them. The hop oils will mix just fine after FG by way of convection,just like sun tea. If you're using a lot of hops in the dry hop,& the beer is still cloudy with yeast,you're going to loose a good part of the aromas from the yeast getting coated with them & settling out. But you'd still smell them. I get a ton of aroma with 1.5oz of dry hop because I wait for the yeast to settle. No need for yeast swirling the wort around. Convection will do it just fine. These things I've proven to myself to work on our level.
You have to remember that they have fermenters as tall as my house. so from top to bottom,it m8ight need a little help. But not our lil 6.5G buckets...

I figured as much, but you know how it is, you want to hear it from others to relax. I'll post the recipe once kegged and tasted. It's using a mixture of mostly Mosaic and Citra, nugget for bitter and a late nugget addition. Some mashed honey malt too.

I respect your opinion union but my pale ales went from bland no aroma flabby ales to bomb commercial level hoppy ales when I started using Matt's techniques of hopping in primary earlier and shorter with shaking

Been meaning to try the honey malt in something. I used the nugget in an IPA once with columbus & cascade. Pretty good in that combo. Boy,I wish my cars' exhaust hadn't broken. State refund came in,no car,walkin with a cane,Latest son to turn 21 has no Photo ID yet. Damn stores. Outta smokes & need a beer till mine are fridged for a week or two.
Drawdy,how much hops do you use for dry hopping that way? And shaking up the trub & yeast while still finishing fermenting to dry hop?! No way in hell that's a better method than clean & still. My way uses convection just like sun tea. Ever put the tea bags in the glass jar when you get outside to place it & watch? The darker tea infused water curls downward like gentle fog or smoke. Hop oils in beer are the same. I use 1.5 ounces to dry hop 5-6 gallons for one week. you can smell it the second you pop the cap. Not to be a prick or anything,but making a mess out of the fermenter sounds a lil weird to me.

Back