Aventinus Weizenbock clone - need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENTUCKYBREWER

Reaction score
I have 4 recipes that I have collected here and there, and wanted to see what you all felt was the better of the bunch. I'm itching to try and brew me some Aventinus!

I think I want to follow the BYO all grain except that I thought I read that Weissbier et. all used a vienna malt, guessing the Munich is fine? I have a note to look into Belgian Caramunich as well. Ideas?

Looking at the BYO recipes I feel that WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen is a better fit to get some authentic ester and phenol production, but Aventinous is not lagered, so Wyeast 3333 German or 3056 Bavarian is probably an appropriate fit for the style. The BYO recipe ferment schedule is is curious.

What are your thoughts?

Here are the recipes:
---
Aventinus Doppelbock Clone - by Austin HomeBrew
9oz Crystal 40L
1oz Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb Melanoidin
1 1/4 lb Geman Wheat
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1 1/4 German Pilsner
(All Grain Pre-Mixed and Pre-Crushed)

8 1/2 lbs Liquid Wheat Extract
1 1/2 oz Hersbrucker for bittering
1/2 oz Hersbrucker for flavor

Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WLP 300

---

Aventinus Doppelbock Clone - From Clone Brews

9 oz crystal 40L
1 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz German Melanoidin Malt
8 oz German Munich Malt

8.5 lbs M&F wheat DME

1 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 3.5% AA (60 min)
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (15 min)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)

Yeast choice #1: Wyeast 3333 Garman wheat yeast
Yeast choice #2: Wyeast 3056 Bavarian wheat yeast
(all the yeasts in this book are Wyeast)

1 1/4 c wheat DME for priming

---

All grain and extract versions from BYO Magazine:

Aventinus Weizenbock
(5 gallons, all-grain)

Ingredients:

7.25 lbs. wheat malt
6 lbs. Munich two-row
0.3 lb. chocolate malt
1.25 oz. Hallertauer hops (3.7% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 90 min., 0.25 oz. at end of boil
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian lager) or 3333 (German wheat)
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Mash grains in 4.25 gal. water in a single infusion at 152¡ F for 60 min. Sparge with 170¡ F water to collect 5.5 gal.
Total boil is 90 min. At start of boil, add 1 oz. Hallertauer hops. At end of boil add 0.25 oz. Hallertauer hops. Chill to 45¡ F and pitch yeast in a starter.
Ferment at 45¡ F for three days. Raise to 50¡ F for three days. Raise to 55¡. Rack into secondary when gravity reaches less than 1.020. Cool to 40¡ F and ferment to 1.008 (about three more days). Age at 40¡ F until clear (seven to
14 days). Bottle and prime. Condition in the bottle as long as desired (30 to 60 days).
*Note: To employ a step mash, the real Aventius employs a rest at 128¡ F and is stepped up to 152¡ F with hot water.

---
Aventinus Weizenbock
(5 gallons, extract with grains)

Ingredients:

5 lbs. wheat malt syrup
5 lbs. light malt syrup
0.3 lb. chocolate malt
1.25 oz. Hallertauer hops (3.7% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. at end of boil
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian lager) or 3333 (German wheat)
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Start with 5 gal. of water. Crush grains and steep while heating water for 15 min. Rinse the grain with enough water to make 5.5 gal. Total boil is 60 min. At start of boil, add 1 oz. Hallertauer hops. At end of boil add 0.25 oz.
Hallertauer hops. Chill to 45¡ F and pitch yeast in a starter.
Follow the fermenting schedule for the all-grain recipe.

Don't really have any advice, but welcome to the site. I am new as well and am in Richmond. Go CATS! (need to save face after the Vandy game)

The Jamil show recently had the LongShot winner on the show with his recipe for a Weizenbock.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php
You will have to listen to the show to get the recipe, but it does appear to be a winning recipe and they talk alot about how it compares to Aventinus.
Craig

hi Kentuckybrewer
Your BYO recipe is the very similar to the one written in Papazian's book (1996 gold winning recipies), with only the following difference.

instead of using munich malt, use German 2-row pale. All proportions are the same.
the recommended yeast is wyeast 3068.

I am glad you had posted this set of messages. Aventinus is a great brew indeed.

I did the Clone Brews version and used 3333 yeast and it is pretty good now. Be prepared to wait on this one as mine was brewed 9 months ago. It's not exactly like Adventinus (not quite as smooth) but I wonder how long Adventinus is in the bottle before it reaches you here in the states? I can't really comment on the choices of malts but most of the recipes look pretty similiar.

Good Luck,
Al

Back