Aventinus FG 1.020?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamsterbite

Reaction score
I'm researching recipes for my next extract batch, and wanting to do a weizenbock. I thought I'd shoot for something along the lines of an Aventinus.

Yeast is easy...Weihenstephan 3068. The extract bill will be mostly wheat DME, a bit of Munich DME, and a little Vienna for steeping. I may add a bit of dark Belgian candy sugar syrup to dry it out and hit style SRM.

Looks like the AG wheat % should be 50-75%. I know wheat DME's aren't 100% wheat, so I will take that into account. Briess DME is 65% wheat for example.
Only bittering hops called for with this style, so thats pretty easy. I can do late additions for the extract and maximize hop utilization for a target IBU around 25. When I aim for 8.2 ABV, I was surprised to see the recipe software return a finishing target o 1.020. Thinking that would be way too sweet and couldn't be right, I tested a bottle of the real deal tonight. Low and behold..1.020.

Would it be terribly noobish of me to ask if this high of a FG is typical of big wheats in general?

Hi all,
Resurrecting this old thread to ask a similar question.
What is the FG of Aventinus? OP said they measured 1.020. Does anyone else have a bottle they'd be willing to open and test "for science"?
I've got a clone sitting almost ready to bottle and it's sitting at 1.024. I need to know whether this is 'close enough' or if I should pitch another yeast that attenuates a bit more to push it over the line.

Thanks!
Neil

Back