avanti kegerator mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzmodelman

Reaction score
so i just bought this mini-fridge:
http://www.avantiproducts.com/products/id/329
and i get it home, pull out all the shelves, and drop the freezer-coil-assembly from being a shelf to being a panel at the top, flush with the back of the unit. i drill out the door for my 2 taps, install the faucets, and go to load it up with 2 34-degree kegs (from my real fridge - pulled out all of the shelves, SWMBO was PISSED!) and then i realize that they won't all fit. so i go the extension route shown here, masterfully executed by TeufelBrew in post 6:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/kenmore-4-6-cu-ft-mini-fridge-kegerator-138887/
but used 2x4's (cuz i had them) and went a bit further and welded up a steel angle frame for the front edge so the magnet-gasket on the door could make a nice proper seal.
no thermal leaks, and the CO2 and both kegs fit. life is grand.:rockin:
BUT THE DAMN THING WON'T GET COLDER THAN 50 degrees F.:mad:
WTF?!?!
has anyone else experienced anything similar?
do i need to toss this $200 POS, and buy something with a larger pair?
can i even force-carb at that temp?

please,

help!:confused:

thanks!
-dz

You didnt kink the line going to the freezerplate did you? this will cause cooling issues for sure. In my fermenting fridge I dropped the freezer to rest along the back side and it works great in that position, I have no issues getting to 33° while crash cooling in it.

maybe the fridge couldnt get that low with that thermostat to begin with.. I have a DAR482BLS which is Danbys All Fridge Model.. when i lowered the thermostat to the lowest possible and even fiddle with the internals of the thermostat, it couldnt get could enough, but I did some rewiring and made my compressor stay on to test how cold it could get.. It hit into the low 10s within 2 hours.. So i bought a Ranco etc 11100 digital thermostat and now control the fridge with that..

Latest posts

Back