Avantco 3500 watt induction range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry in Colorado

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought this induction range, and now I have a quandary. The instructions say to not exceed 10 1/4 inches for the brew pot. My 6 gallon pot is 14 inches! It sits on the metal rim around the induction plate. Instructions cay that larger pots can damage the burner. What to do??

If you were the sort of person that follows manufacturer guidelines, I'm confident that you wouldn't need assistance returning the product. Therefore, I suspect that you want someone to tell you, "Just go ahead and use it."

Just go ahead and use it. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

I use it with my 14.5 inch pot. I did get a hot spot in my pot, but I think that was a fault in the metal and not with the Avantco. Been using it about 5 years now.

Thank you, I just wanted to hear that others had done this without causing a huge problem
Kettle overhang is no problem at all.
The surrounding frame is very sturdy and helps support larger kettles and the weight of higher (brew) volumes. I've brewed 10 gallon batches in a 17" wide, triple-ply bottomed, 15 gallon kettle on that IC3500 without any problem. Just takes twice as long to heat the double volume compared to 5 gallon batches.

It's a workhorse!
Excellent for making large batches of soup stocks too!

I just bought this induction range, and now I have a quandary. What to do??

I have used the Avantco 3500 for the last 6-7 years with my 14" diameter 10 gal pot that is typically filled to the 7 gal mark: no problem at all! You can see the heating activity confined to an area of 9-10" diameter but absolutely no scorching or other detrimental effect.

I also have an internal 4500W element in the kettle to get a robust boil but both are used to get me to boiling temp very quickly. I enjoy using the induction range around the hot break as it offers great control to stop boilover.

Brew On!

I use my 8 gallon kettle on a 1800W portable induction cooktop and it exceeds the burner area by about 1 - 1 &1/2”. It works fine. It just means that small amount of the kettle bottom exceeding the size of the burner’s effective area is not benefiting from the heat source.

Back