Autumn's Bounty Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster12

Reaction score
I'm going to brag and say this is the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. Big thanks go out to Reno Envy for all the info and help on his thread but this is my recipe that takes things up a few notches. Pumpkin, spice, bourbon, oak, vanilla.

5 gallon
Mash at 158 degrees. We want this to be chewy!
10 lbs 2 row
9 oz C60
8 oz flaked oats
8 oz Victory
6 oz Vienna
3.5 lbs pumpkin
1.25 lbs brown sugar at 45 minutes

1.25 oz Cascade at 60
1.25 oz Willamette at 45
1.25 tbls homemade pumpkin pie spice (.75 at 15 and .5 at 5)

Safale S-04 or US-05

To secondary.
2 oz bourbon soaked medium toast oak cubes including about 3-4 oz of the bourbon
1 vanilla bean split and seeded
.5 lbs raisins.

Here's the trick. Roast the pumpkin on a cookie sheet for 1 hour at 350 to caramelize the pumpkin. Allow pumpkin to cool a little. Use a 5 gallon paint strainer to put the pumpkin into your strike water. As you raise your strike water to temp the pumpkin will steep in the water and you'll avoid all the stuck sparge mess. Once you reach strike temp allow the pumpkin to drain by removing the paint strainer and continue as usual.

I soak the vanilla beans and raisins in a few ounces of bourbon but only add the bourbon from the oak cubes (drink the other stuff!!)

4 week primary and 1.5-2 week secondary. Bottle or keg from there. This beer takes about 6-8 weeks to really meld together in the bottle if you don't give it enough time in primary. Be patient.

OG-1.077
FG- 1.018
IBU- 36
ABV- 7.8
SRM- 17

Back