Automated Propane for Smokehouse...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegabunny

Reaction score
I hope this is the right board.

I am in the planning stages of a cedar smokehouse using propane with temperature control. I read several different posts but I'm still lost on how to automate the gas flow to keep everything going with little attention.

I want to be able to keep the flame going with a temp of about 180 degrees for extended periods of time, 6, 8, 10 hours at a time. I would like to be able to set the temp and relax while everything smokes, checking every once in a while, but being able to focus on playing cornhole and drinking some beer.

I have this burner that I would like to use for the heat source...

Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have read about this here...

Y8610U4001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONEYWELL-Y...ttent-pilot-/381408104660?hash=item58cdb1d0d4

but have no idea if it would work for what I am wanting.

Can someone tell me if I can make this build happen and if so break down a list of everything I would need?

Finally, is there anyway to have 2 or more probes for temperature...

Such as one for the smokehouse itself, to regulate the temp of the box, and another for the meat inside?

So one out control the temp, say keeping it at 225 and another that shuts the system down when the meat reaches a certain temp, say 200 degrees for brisket.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, here is what's coming to mind.......You can use a BCS460 which is 4 PID's in one (maybe a little overkill for what you need). You hook one for the meat temp and one for the smokehouse temp. Once the meat temp reaches the desired temp then it can shut everything down. Just place one temp probe in the meat and one temp probe in the area of the smokehouse where you want to see your 180*F. For this you will need to run 120V to the smokehouse and a wireless adapter.

You can use the burner and the igniter you listed but you will need a gas valve to control the burner (honeywell VR8200A2132) they include an orifice for propane gas. To control the gas valve you also need a 24V transformer (Honeywell AT140A1042) and an SSR relay.

Now since you will be keeping an eye on the process then I would just go with a standing pilot light (much cheaper). Being inside a smokehouse, you shouldn't have to worry about the pilot light blowing out. That savings in itself would pay for the BCS460.

Now maybe someone here can share how 2 standard PID's can work.

Back