Automated Power Source Switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelSlicer

Reaction score
I joined this forum hoping someone here could help me solve a problem. Hopefully others with the same problem will see the solution.
I'm not a homebrewer, I hope that's ok. I'm a swordsmith and use an electric kiln to do heat treatment. I have two outlets that are capable of running the heating coil, but only for an hour or two, then they need a break. If I use the same outlet for two long the breaker flips and it's a long trip from the kiln to the breaker.
I use digital twin timers hooked up to SSR's. I can set the twin timer to a setting the outlet can handle, but it won't get up to temp at that rate.

Is there a way of wiring SSR's or some other switch that will automatically switch between two power sources with the electricity going into the same coil?
I know it can be done with a simple SPDT switch but the kiln needs to run for several hours to get up to 1530 F. An automated switch on a timer would be a big help.

Thank you! Although I do not understand how to wire this. Can you explain please?

I think you need larger supply power circuits. You are overloading them. Automation will increase the fire risk as you will not be watching them as closely. I recommend talking to a certified electrician in your area.

Are you using some kind of temperature controller which runs an SSR?
Thank you! Although I do not understand how to wire this. Can you explain please?

Simplified diagram just to show an idea if you wish to use 2 SSRs. However I'd recommend to use 2 contactors. What is you coil wattage? And do you use a temperature controller?

1601653208342.png

There we go, Thanks again! My coils just take 120v and 20a, so 2400w
It's really the GFCI outlets that keep switching off, one outlet has 2 of them, 1 in the basement and 1 outside. The other outlet just has 1 outside. I had an electrician help me. I don't want to uninstall the GFCI's for safety reasons and I don't want to wear them out.

20 amp is too much for standard wiring and gfci outlets. 15 amps is there rated capacity. What gauge wire is being used in the walls? You are risking burning your house down. You are wearing out the outlets by drawing excess current, and have no safety functioning. If your outlets dont look like the linked ones and fed with white insulated wiring then stop and get proper rating components for your circuit to fix the problem.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...nwjgvINf5osQMA8Qv73kNJECwlKzobJRoC0uoQAvD_BwE
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...lex-GFCI-Outlet-White-R12-GFNT2-0RW/205996739

20 amp is too much for standard wiring and gfci outlets.

There is no just a "standard wiring". You may have a mixture of 15A and 20A wiring at your home. For example, according to a latest standards, laundry room must have a 20amp outlet.

I do have 12ga wiring and breakers on some circuits, but all 110v outlets in my house are 15 amp. That is why I included links to 20amp outlets. Systems should be rated by the weakest component for safety. Yes the supply to the outlet can handle 20 amps, but the outlet cant, causing a fire hazard. OP said his gfci outlets are tripping, supporting what I am saying. I dont want to support the OP in causing a fire. I will leave this alone now.

Latest posts

Back