Automated eBIAB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok Everybody!

I need some help figuring out some stuff with BIAB brewing setup. First here are my goals:

1. 1 automated eBIAB set up capable of 1 gallon batches (Im keeping it small at first to get a hang of the hardware, BIAB brewing, electric, and programs) using a 3 gallon pot.

2. Use Raspberry PI to set up and control 1 120v 2000 watt heating element, 1 DS18B20 Temp. Sensor, one small dc pump capable of moving 1.5/L a min (found the pump on amazon), and a 7" Touch Screen.

First: I am having trouble finding the right diagram to use for wiring the Raspberry PI to the Element, Sensor, and Pump. (SAFELY!!)

Second: Making sure I can get the right software to be able to control mash temp. and boiling temp.

That's it guys. I just want to make a small system to start messing around with automation before I start making batches bigger than 5 gallons. I currently do it the normal way: 1 pot, 1 burner, and patients! I could eventually keep this little system for experimental batches, if I didnt feel like shooting for a big batch that I may not like.

PLEASE! Let me know any details!

I can tell you this, with that low of a volume, it's going to be harder to tune in your system. Less thermal mass = less stability. I would build for the batch size your planning on. It may be more money right now, but reconfiguring for a larger system will be more.

I renectly cobbled together an arduino controlled double boiler for making cheese as well as 1 gallon batches. With this volume temperature stability is not an issue. With making cheese it works great. For mashing it is good at holding temps but it takes a long time to do a step for mash out.

By using a double boiler I am I creasing the thermal mass and creating a buffer between the heat source and the mash.

1415381609418.jpg

Back