Autolysis and cold conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
Hi

I may not be following forum rules/etiquette (so let me know if i am not)...but this appears in one of the HBT articles

A caveat comes along with this, leaving it {a beer that is cold conditioning/lagering} for too long (maybe it got forgotten in the back corner of the basement) may cause autolyzing (yeast death), and off flavor development.

Is this possible?

Are my bottle conditioned beers that have been in the fridge for six months at risk of this too?

Yes it is possible. Yes your bottle conditioned beers that have been in the fridge for 6 months are at risk too. No, my bottles of beer that have been sitting at room temp have never had this happen even after 2 years. It has been reported that beers that have been bottled for years don't but the chance is still there, a very, very small chance.

Now quit worrying about it. The chance of it happening at room temp is pretty small, the chance of it happening in your refrigerator is smaller yet, and worrying about it won't help a bit.

Now quit worrying about it. The chance of it happening at room temp is pretty small, the chance of it happening in your refrigerator is smaller yet, and worrying about it won't help a bit.

Right. I hear you loud and clear SIR!

I actually didn't think it was possible so will revert back to that thinking...

Latest posts

Back