Autolyse or off flavors at low temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
So my question is this, I am looking at fermenting for 21 days then cold crashing for 7 days, but I am considering not racking to decrease oxygenation of the batch, but wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause a problem with autolyse or off flavors from the trub on the bottom. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I am trying to completely get away from secondary fermentation for all things except additions.

21 days is common for me simply because I base changes on when fermentation really slows down. When I get 1 bubble every 1 to 2 minutes through the airlock then I normally rack to secondary, which is normally around 3 weeks. Most things over 1.060 take that long because I ferment a little cooler than normal for ale yeast to control off flavor profile and get a cleaner finish.

Don't secondary without a specific reason. What are fermenting for 21 days?

You should be fine with your plans. I have gone as long as 3 months in primary with a very light blonde ale with no ill result. I have the very beer on tap right now. The two pints I downed last night were very tasty.

Back